How much do I plant?

Washtub

I have a 1/4acre that I’m wanting to plant with I/C peas and Alyce clover. Anybody know how many pounds of each I should plant? I don’t want it to be too sparse but I also don’t want to choke it out.

I was thinking about 8lbs of peas and 2lbs of clover.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Jim Boyd

We plant peas at 50 lbs acre with the drill.

Broadcast should be more.

.25 acres (which may get wiped out if you many deer) would probably be more in the 15 lbs of peas range.

Alyce clover, I don’t know but we only plant our clovers (crimson and Ladino) in the fall.

Good luck, grow ‘em up!!!!!

wyldwulf

The deer, if you have many, will knock the heck out of the peas really quick in 1/4 acre. And you are right, it can shade your Alyce if it is too thick. I have grown a lot of Alyce, and love it. It only has one drawback, in that it establishes very slowly at first. So protecting it is a good idea. But once it is up and making good leaves it withstands browsing great. So while I wouldn't count of the peas as a sustained food, it would make a good protector until your Alyce gets established.

davidhelmly

Alyceclover broadcast rate is about 20 lbs an acre so 5 lbs for you. I’ve had good luck with Alyceclover in the past but never planted an area that small.

BuckNasty83

I planted 2 acres last year of soy beans, icp, lablab, mixed with sun flower and a few other things. ( Whitetail institute Power plant) Don't waste your time with a 1/4 acre. You won't even get pods. I knew I was pushing it with 2 acres, but I had to try. Now I know better

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I planted 2 acres last year of soy beans, icp, lablab, mixed with sun flower and a few other things. ( Whitetail institute Power plant) Don't waste your time with a 1/4 acre. You won't even get pods. I knew I was pushing it with 2 acres, but I had to try. Now I know better

Yep, what he said. 1/4 acre of peas won't make it much past germination. Once the animules find it they will wipe you out overnight.

BuckNasty83

I'd put clover and chicory in. Brassicas later for cold weather attraction. Wheats, oats, rye grain. But the clover will be slow.