308 ?

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I like the reduced load or Lite .308 option. I would try that yourself first and see if you think she could handle it. I would not let her shoot the .308 with a standard ammo. It is very hard to desensitized a young person to the experience of heavy recoil. You don't want to scare her. Hunting / Shooting should be fun. If you want to buy her her own rifle I also think the .243 is a good option... maybe a 7mm-08.

Gumpbuck

My wife shoots a Ruger American youth model in 308. She has seen me "scope" myself with my 270 and is very concerned about recoil.
She loves her 308, feels very comfortable shooting it and put her first two bucks on the ground with it this year.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
My daughter is 11 and she is 5 '6" and thick I know she's a big girl. All that aside. Lookin at rifles is 308 to much for her. I own one but don't wanna scare her or break her with to much gun. Any advice

Maybe. I wouldn't start her on a bolt gun in 308, butttttttt I have several 308 gas guns with adjustable collapsible stocks and my 12 year old can shoot it with no fear.

can't find it
but maybe one of the members has it

a chart that shows caliber and the ft/lbs of recoil energy

something close to memory was
.243 = 12 ft/lbs
7mag = 22 ft/lbs

keep in mind that recoil is proportionate to the size of the rifle

started my son with a Rem Model 7 Youth in 7-08
and the factory 140gr loads were a hard kicker
reduced loads were the ticket

00Beau

6.5 Creedmoor, Hornady Eldx 143 grain Precision Hunter ammo. 6.5 out performs 308, lots less recoil. Shot the 3 hogs in my avatar picture last weekend, DRT.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

rwh

7mm-08, 6.5 creedmoor, .6.5x55 swede and a few others can all do what a .308 will do with less recoil.

Major Wader

This chart is what interested me in the .257 Roberts. Very light recoil, and it has a 100 yard energy advantage on the .243.

I killed two very nice bucks with it this past season. One fell over, the other made it almost 20 yards.

110 grain Nosler Accubond at 3000 FPS

spearjunky

I would just use reduced recoil ammo I have a 12 year old who has a 7mm-08, who shoots it with no problems she started shooting it at 8 and she is very small

one hogman

6.5 Creedmoor, Hornady Eldx 143 grain Precision Hunter ammo. 6.5 out performs 308, lots less recoil. Shot the 3 hogs in my avatar picture last weekend, DRT.

The creedmoor might be great as a long range target steel plate popper but in the hunting woods under normal deer/hog killing ranges there is no way it out performs a .308, the 308 has a bigger bore, carries a heavier bullet and has more energy. ::ke:

1bidbob

BANNED
I got rid of my .308 and bought me a Tikka .243. Best move I ever made deer hunting. Plus I dropped a 275 lb bear in his tracks with it. You gain so much accuracy that it is worth a little less firepower. I wouldnt take anything for my Tikka.

one hogman

I got rid of my .308 and bought me a Tikka .243. Best move I ever made deer hunting. Plus I dropped a 275 lb bear in his tracks with it. You gain so much accuracy that it is worth a little less firepower. I wouldnt take anything for my Tikka.

They make Tikkas in .308 too, lol, I got a T3 lightweight in .06 it is a tack driver!!

SakoL61R

If you reload or want to start, go with a .308 and don't look back.

Starter / target rounds:
Between 10 & 14 grains of Trail Boss behind a 150gr boolit. The recoil-o-meter is rather low (14 gr = about 1400fps).... slightly lower recoil than a .204 Ruger.

https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/trail-boss-reduced-loads-r_p.pdf

Hunting and practice loads:
Reduced H4895 loads with a light boolit. (My fave and field tested last year-125 Nosler BT running around 2250 fps.) Put it in the boiler and it's lights out! (recoil is about like a 7.62x39).

https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/h4895-reduced-rifle-loads.pdf

My son, (almost 7) with his Ruger compact .308 and Trail Boss loads (was not happy about his "flier"facepalm: haha!). He'll shoot a box of 50 and want more....
And yeah, he rolls his own under my supervision.

Attachments

• res1.jpg
    res1.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 365

deers2ward

The creedmoor might be great as a long range target steel plate popper but in the hunting woods under normal deer/hog killing ranges there is no way it out performs a .308, the 308 has a bigger bore, carries a heavier bullet and has more energy. ::ke:

This^^