Cleth and temp

BuckNasty83

I was thinking. When I sprayed for clover maintenance last week, it was near 80°. The next day this cold front came through and has stuck around. I'm not sure exactly what grasses and weeds I have in there, or there temp ranges, but I'm betting that most of it goes dormant in the mid 30s-40°range? and the cleth won't get the kill?

doomtrpr_z71

It is indeed temp sensitive, it's technically not a herbicide but a proherbicide. Frost within 3 days before or after application reduces efficacy. But with the high temps on the application day you should have gotten good uptake and most likely will still get some control, especially with the daytime temps picking up, it may just delay the kill somewhat.

BuckNasty83

What about mowing? I'm assuming I should wait until it starts browning before I mow? Or can I do that now?

doomtrpr_z71

You're looking at probably 2 weeks after the application before mowing, the dim takes a little while to work.

Ihunt

Cleth will only kill the grass.

Ihunt

Yeah, that's why I got it

Sorry but In your original post you mentioned grass and weeds and cleth. In your last statement you wondered if it would work. Sorry if I misunderstood but reading your post I would assume most would think you thought Cleth would kill grass and weeds.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Clethodim does take a while to "show", under good conditions. If your grass looks all green (unlike the picture below) and you were to pull the center out (like the picture below) and the bottom of that center stem was brown, then your grass is dead and it just doesn't know it yet.

Attachments

• Clethodim herbicide leaf pulls out_0.jpg
    Clethodim herbicide leaf pulls out_0.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 247

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
How much Cleth did you use?
How much crop oil?
Fine mist or big droplets?
Most of the plant intake of cleth happened within the first 4 hours.
Label says rain tolerate in 1 hour.
It takes a while for the cleth to kill he grass,especially if the grass is taller.

BuckNasty83

I'm not exactly sure, but I believe the jug said 6-16oz per acre. I think I used around 16-18 across 2 acres and a little less than double in crop oil in a 25 gal atv boom sprayer, with a good mist. Grass is about a foot high. Didn't rain for a day or 2 after spraying. There was some very random clumps of grass with a purple colored stem. I thought that was from needing aeration? I dunno about that tho. I'll give it another week and up the dose

Canuck5

Just to be sure ...... it's not nutsedge? Clethodim won't kill nutsedge. It's like the plague .....

Attachments

• Purple Nutsedge.JPG
    Purple Nutsedge.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 195

Forest Grump

Just to be sure ...... it's not nutsedge? Clethodim won't kill nutsedge. It's like the plague .....

When he said purple stems & no response to clethodim that was the first thought I had too...

OP: clethodim kills any grass I know of; there is no known resistance. So if you sprayed what you “thought” was a grass & it was nutsedge, which looks like a grass, & it was green & growing; it will drink your clethodim, spit, & laugh at you.

BuckNasty83

It's finally all showing signs of death. I had tilled, killed this whole area last year(fall). Planted whitetail institute oats, clover, and brassicas. Had a lush field of oats. It had to have still been the oats. It stayed the exact same from last fall until now. Now i just have a chicweed problem. I probably should have used more cleth to begin with. The grasses/oats? weren't purple on bottom until about 3 weeks after spraying and it was in so many random spots, I thought it was aeration problem

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

It's bad luck to even post pictures of it on here.:bounce:

Canuck5

LOL, you are soooooooooooooo right!!!!