Atlanta United 2018

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
I think we’re gonna get some tickets to an upcoming game. Sounds like a good time

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
The Minnesota game got moved to saturday night at 8 pm a few weeks ago apparently. Had to update my calendar!

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
I think we’re gonna get some tickets to an upcoming game. Sounds like a good time

You can't beat it. You will have fun, the atmosphere is like no other Atlanta sports crowd!

Coenen

Another W last night in Minnesota. They decided to do it the hard way. United scored early, then LGP got red carded for a bonehead play, and they had to hold The Loons of playing 10 on 11 for almost an hour.

The 8 minutes of stoppage at the end almost killed me. I was literally screaming for the ref to blow the whistle at 97:30.

You can't beat it. You will have fun, the atmosphere is like no other Atlanta sports crowd!
This. It is insane. Be ready to stand for the whole match!

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
When LGP got a yeller card a minute in, I knew he'd be hitting the showers early at some point. He's a bit of a liability in general when it comes to questionable challenges and card accumulation.

Showed a lot of guts to keep them at bay, especially in those conditions. Loons weren't particularly threatening or dangerous but I think we would have lost that game last year.

Coenen

Showed a lot of guts to keep them at bay, especially in those conditions. Loons weren't particularly threatening or dangerous but I think we would have lost that game last year.
Agreed. They picked the right match to post their first clean sheet of the season.

I looked back at the box score, it had Minnesota generating only 13 shots, with 3 on target. It seemed like much more than that in the course of the match. Hard to believe thats all they could muster off of 71% possession, and most of that deep in Atlanta's half of the field.

LAFC coming to town on the 21st. Should be a good one. Imbrahimovic had quite the debut over the weekend.

Last edited:

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
I think Ibra made it quite clear he'll be the travelling highlight reel in the MLS. I'd go out on a limb to say that 35 yarder is favorite for goal of the season already.

Coenen

I'd go out on a limb to say that 35 yarder is favorite for goal of the season already.
No limb required. That goal was unreal. Only realistic way it gets beat for goal of the year is if someone scores a goal of similar quality that actually decides a match.

....or Atlanta fans could take over the balloting again. :cool:

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Yeah that goal by Ibra was definitely goal of the year material. Going to be tough to keep carlos vela and the LAFC offense at bay this week missing some key defenders. Going to be an exciting game for sure!

Glad they snuck out of MSP with 3 points, they showed a lot of guts!

Edit: Just read that Larry is back in training, big deal since we for sure won't have LGP. Escobar is still out as well.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Please tell us why not.

The only harm you might get is a free beer (bad for your health), some free food (probably full of fat and cholesterol ), and you will definitely suffer some hearing loss from the 72,000 old, young, midle aged, racially diverse individuals appreciating the same team, chanting together, clapping together, having a great time together at the greatest sports facility currently built in the world.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
The only harm you might get is a free beer (bad for your health), some free food (probably full of fat and cholesterol ), and you will definitely suffer some hearing loss from the 72,000 old, young, midle aged, racially diverse individuals appreciating the same team, chanting together, clapping together, having a great time together at the greatest sports facility currently built in the world.

Sounds like someone that has never been to a game is trying to give advice.

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
Pretty much, Bo$$

chainshaw

Going in early for season tickets was one of the best entertainment decisions that my wife and I have ever made. These games are so much fun and the crowd is pretty awesome.

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
My thoughts exactly, chainsaw. I've never entertained buying season tickets to anything and was apprehensive about it at first, ended up being a great decision.

Coenen

Going in early for season tickets was one of the best entertainment decisions that my wife and I have ever made. These games are so much fun and the crowd is pretty awesome.
I'm kicking myself now that I didn't! I had no Earthly idea it'd take hold like it has! Especially with such comparatively little coverage in the area as well. The Falcons and Dawgs are months away from playing meaningful games. The Hawks are actively tanking. AUFC is filling that stadium with a great fan experience, coupled with an exciting on-field product, and doesn't seem to get any real play.

Give folks a great experience, and word of mouth will carry you, I guess. :cool:

Coenen

Speaking of a great experience, one of my contentions about Atlanta's success is that they understand the American viewer. What does the American viewer want? Goals! What does Atlanta United give us? Goals!

What seemed like a tight match became a rout of an LAFC side that many thought was on the rise in their inaugural campaign. The King Peach kit seems to be a bit of a rabbit's foot for AU.

Julian Gressel got himself a well-deserved goal, as well as Man of the Match recognition. He has really come into his own. Some credit to Michael Parkhurst as well with a nifty touch to start the play that ended with Gressel driving it home!

It seems like they really pour it on in the second half of games as well. It happens often enough that it seems intentional. Is that a tactical decision, or just a result of a better side wearing down the opponent? The early goal, followed by a flurry of scoring starting in the final 30 minutes seems to have become a pattern.

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
I really dislike VAR. I know we've benefited from it on multiple occasions but I don't think it has a place in soccer. Ref decisions are a part of the game. I'm fine with goal line tech though.

While I'm disappointed we didn't take all three points last night, it was a great game and it was good to see Barco get some time. He held the ball too long on multiple occasions but looked threatening. Almiron gave NY fits every time he touched the ball.

Zlatan is going to give our defense PTSD when we play the galaxy on Saturday.

Coenen

Highlights from Sunday:

Good, but not great, game. The draw doesn't bother me too much, NYCFC was clearly a pretty solid side. It's still pretty early in the season, so this team will still continue to evolve.

I really dislike VAR. I know we've benefited from it on multiple occasions but I don't think it has a place in soccer. Ref decisions are a part of the game. I'm fine with goal line tech though.

While I'm disappointed we didn't take all three points last night, it was a great game and it was good to see Barco get some time. He held the ball too long on multiple occasions but looked threatening. Almiron gave NY fits every time he touched the ball.

Hated seeing Nagbe lose that goal, Sunday's match was probably his best showing this far. He really is nifty on the ball, and seems to make really good decisions with his distribution. That strike was excellent, and Gressel's feed was superb. Julian has really come into his own. I know he gave up the penalty, but Parkhurst has really impressed me with his play. Solid defense, and on more than a few occasions, he's made some nice touches to start things on the offensive side.

The past couple matches at times it's looked like they've been inviting opponents into their half to open up space for the counter. I wonder if that will continue against LA Galaxy, or if we'll see more of the high-press, hold the ball, type offense. The defense is in for a stern test with Zlatan looking to conquer the league single-handedly.

Coenen

Victory in LA!
:yeah:

Braves come from behind to beat the Mets. United play a great match on the road and bring home 3 points from LA. Not a bad day for Atlanta sports! :cool:

His presence in the final third is undeniable, dude is a monster, but LA didn't seem to have any other pieces in their attack. There was some talent on their side, but at times they seemed hamstrung by a "get the ball to Zlatan" mentality. Atlanta's defensive effort was wonderful, with Parkhurst earning well deserved Man of the Match honors, but I felt that LA's lack of creativity in the final third certainly helped Atlanta bring home the clean sheet, and the result.

For their part, I felt that Atlanta played a really solid match from end to end.

Guzan was physical, decisive and aggressive in goal. Snuffing out several potential opportunities before they could turn in to anything. The back line has really gelled, Parkhurst has been playing wonderful football, LGP was physical without being reckless, McCann has been outstanding for a couple of matches now. All three have really impressed me on the offensive end as well, every match it seems they sneak in a couple of nifty touches on the opponent's end that spark a chance.

In the middle, Nagbe seems to be settling in and becoming a stronger force in the midfield at both ends of the pitch. Gressel-mania continues to run wild, what a bright spot he's become! Garza's play has continued to be steady.

Up front, what is there to say about Almiron and Martinez that hasn't been said? Miggy seems to be getting stronger and stronger with each match. Asking questions, taking shots and providing an ever-present threat to defenders. I'd like to see him play a little more team-oriented brand of football at times, but his skill going forward is obvious. Martinez got his goal, unsurprisingly, and nearly had at least one other. The missed PK was disappointing, but you can't have everything. Barco, in his first full match; impressive. His growth will be exciting to watch, and it looks like he's going to be a major factor sooner rather than later.

How about a second Romario Williams sighting as well? He has shown up in limited play time.

Glad I stayed up to watch it all go down!

Last edited:

Latest posts