Bot Fly in GA?

Whiteeagle

They are under the dermis on top of the epidermis and pose no health hazzard to either animal or human. Kinda like blackheads on your teenager.

Forest Grump

Yes, we have bot flies in GA: bot flies lay eggs on the skin which hatch when the animal licks them, stick to the tongue, & are swallowed & take up residence in the stomach. Ivermectin will kill them, but not at the dose used in dogs to prevent heart worm.

What you are describing is called a cuterebra. Its normal host is rabbits & squirrels, but it will occasionally parasitize cats or dogs, as described above by pine nut.
They need to be surgically removed, carefully, because of the risk of anaphylactic reaction if the parasite ruptures, so if in a pet or a cow, consult your veterinarian. Ivermectin is not used to kill or prevent them. If in a wild animal, they may be miserable for a bit, but seem to ignore it & it is not fatal. I don't know that I would suggest eating an affected animal, but the parasite is confined to the skin & subcutaneous tissue, it's just grotesque, having a big black maggot the diameter of a pencil in a big cystic cavity:eek: yak!

tim scott

Banned
"the diameter of a pencil"??????? first one i ever saw up close was out west. i was with three friends and had been rabbit hunting and we were standing around an old table cleaning the rabbits when this thing the size of a mans thumb rolled out from under the skin. hate to admit it but i know we all sounded like a bunch of little girls...eeeek. two of the guys turned around and threw up, the third started making these gagging sounds.... that was enough for me. picked up my knife and gun, told them they could have my rabbits and left. eat the rabbits??? no way!!!!! in fact i couldn't gag down anything for two days, that ugly gross thing was awful. i knew what it was as i'd seen the lumps on the backs of cattle and had been told all about them and how to remove them from the cattle by an old wrangler friend that taught me how to ride but still i wasn't ready for the sight of it up close.
tim

Y.T.

I read somewhere that if you tie a few strips of bacon around the embedded larva that after a couple of days it will have moved itself into the bacon...

dwh8417

Pour hydrogen peroxide over the wound and the worm will start to crawl out, then grab it and pull slowly. They are just big fat grub worms and are great for fishing :)