best coondog breed?

Mrs. Armytaco

I have to say I'm surprised how this thread has turned out. I figured everyone would've taken the opportunity to bash alot the breeds just because they prefer one or another. Everyone has preferences you just have decide for yourself what yours is. If you hunt with your buddies and their dogs, you should have a good idea of your choosing between. Good Luck.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
80% of the dogs of all breeds are pretty much worthless. I've seen really good coon dogs in all the breeds (even walkers),:bounce: and a lot of worthless ones in all of them.

Arrow3

Ive owned good walkers, blueticks , and english dogs....By far the best for me was the english dogs....

GA DAWG

Well you see I couldn't let the blues out do the spotted dogs. I've read and heard some say a coon want climb a pine tree. If you put enough heat on em. Its climb what's close or die lol.
953258089_photobucket_61231_.jpg

Murphy

How much did Clyde charge you for that pic? :D

I've had alot of coon climb pine trees out at Chicksawhatchee WMA they always seem to run to the pines or the waist deep swamp out there....

Mistrfish

I hunted with a lot of dogs back in the day but best one I ever had was a Redtick. I traded a Double barrel shotgun for him as a 3 month old pup at a UKC hunt. Made lots of money with him back when coon hides were worth something. Was offered thousands of dollars for him when he was finished but never sold him. Ended up giving him to my uncle when i moved to Ga.

Prorain

Well as you can read in my signature what I run and that it was I prefer,I haven't even thought of having another breed in my yard.I have all the fun I can stand with my brindle hounds.

ArmyTaco

Theres nice ones and bad ones in all breeds. I prefer Blueticks. I also like a medium hunter. There are times when I say I wish I had one go until it had a coon, but them times when I have been with one and ended up in stranger property or running dogs down it gets old sometimes. I figure if they hunt 6-800 yds out and havent hit a track come on back and well go somewhere else. I also like a cold nose dog and you tend to find them in Blues, B&T, Plotts, English, and some Walkers. I have just hunted with more Blues that suit me than anything else.

You can find what you like in any breed. Just research the lines of dogs you are intersted..not just the parents but several generations behind it. Find someone that has been breeding the same line of dogs with sucess. Not the backyard breeders that just breed dogs with no research. Look at the Utchmans, Dave Dean with the Hammer lines, Ed Mead with Jet line in the Blues..been breeding a family of dogs a long time with great sucess..Russ Downing as well, House dogs in Walkers as well as Joe Newlin with his line. There are people that have been breeding and hunting a family of dogs and know them like the back of there hand. These are the kind of people to try and find a good pup from. Not saying there are not good ones out of others but these type of people constantly produce nice dogs..not just one good one out of a litter of duds. If your looking for a good older dog, find one that came from a cross that has many good dogs out of it instead of that one.

Mark Wilcox has been breeding some very nice blues here in GA. Alot dont have any fancy titles, but are coondawgs and he knows what a coon dog is and has been producing some nice dogs. He is one that knows the history behind his dogs and has been breeding what he hunts and hunts what he breeds. This is where you find the good ones with those type people.

Anyway enough of my rambling. Should get the jist of things. Dont waste time..look for a solid line of dogs and someone who knows them back and forth. Hunt with the parents, and offspring if you can. Research..is key do that and you will be far ahead and more likely to find something nice the first time.