Above Ground Dog Pen (In Progress) PICS UPDATED

Cottontail

I use bleach about once a month you would be surprised at the deseases birds carry in and out of the pens.

very nice but why would you use OSB?

I used the OSB because unfortunately I am on a college budget and it was cheaper than traditional plywood. I have added Thompson's Water Seal to it and added several coats of waterproof decking paint to hopefully extend the life of it. Thankfully the way the pen is built, i can replace the houses without rebuilding the whole pen later if needed.

I use bleach about once a month you would be surprised at the deseases birds carry in and out of the pens.

Thanks Ace. I was wondering about that when I saw a barn wren trying to build a nest in the rafters of the pen. I really like your pen setup as well. How do you go about bleaching yours? Do you use a garden sprayer and dilute the bleach? Also what type of floor did you use?

Cottontail

I used decking boards spaced out about an inch apart and yes i use a garden sprayer. I also forgot to mention that i like the looks of your pen completed turned out nice.Is you want the OSB to last longer spray it with diesel fuel.

moagie25

pen

What is the name of the company in al that you ordered your floor panels from if you don't mind, I want to order some Thanks Mike

ylhatch

a couple of game hens will keep the ground under the pen clean

c1blackboy

For what it's worth the osb is not a bad option but if I had the money I would use 3/4 advantec sub floor. It's put together with water proof glue. Since you used osb the best thing to put on it is burt moter oil and diesil fuel mixed together. I clean and brush it on mine once a year. My dog houses are 6 years old and sit on the ground. They still look as good as the day I built them. I have never had tompson's work for anything. If you are just going to use it I would put it on every 6 mounths.

c1blackboy

Just a dumb carpenter but i have learnd a few tricks. I'll have to take some pics of my pen some time. I actually took 3/4 conduit pipe and bent doors for mine. Then i took chainlink and run around it for doors. I also made my dividers out of osb. They set in 2x6 at the top and bottom with a 1x2 on each side so they slide in and out the front of the pen. On the front i ran a 2x6 that i screwed on. If i cut down on dogs or just want to change the size I take out 4 screws and slide the partition out.

TJMoon

Hey, I like that floor where did you get it from?? I used 2x2s on mine but would like to change that with the plastic floor.

sljones

About to build a whelping brooder, would the holes in the flooring be too big for pups if used for the runner?