Is this fired chert?

I have been trying to find a point and it's taking a while. Just like to know if I'm barking up the correct tree. My wife and I went walking this morning on a tall sandy bluff over the Ogeechee River. It's is a beautiful area. I can only imagine it was a village at one time. I can find a lot of these chips. It looks like the edges are worked. Is this chert? Very sharp. Found one that looks like a perfect base to a point. All the rock looks like the pic. Thanks.

Attachments

• 12212.jpg
    12212.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 611
  • 12215.jpg
    12215.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 617

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
It`s Coastal Plains chert with a heavy field patina on it. Doesn`t look to be heat treated nor worked. It does look like a debitage flake.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
If you`re finding a lot of chips and fragments, you`re in a knapping area. Keep looking anywhere you can see the dirt all through the area and you`re apt to find some artifacts.

Good luck.

Also picked up this oyster shaped stone that feels like a scrapper, but it has no tooling marks. Very smooth. Probably nothing but it caught my eye.

Attachments

• 12221.jpg
    12221.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 598
  • 12220.jpg
    12220.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 596

Willjo

All arrowheads were not made from heat treated chert, some of the Savannah River points and several style points were not heated. Raw chert is stronger than heat treated chert even though the heated pieces are easier to knap. where there is flakes most likely there will be points.

I'd start a dig site where you find a bunch of flakes

What you said reminded me of a question I have. I own two small tracks of land in Bullock County totalling about 20 acres. One is 325' above sea level. Some of the first high ground moving in from the coast. I could dig it to China if it suits me, but how deep would I want to look? If habitation in this area has been 10-12 thousand years, what depth does that time frame represent in undisturbed soil. I really don't know if we are talking about the first 10" or 10'. I would assume once you hit fossils from the ocean you are too deep.

Last edited:

Mexican Squealer

Got to find the level. Start shallow. Probably don't have to go too deep if finding stuff on the surface. You will often find signs of campfires in the side walls of your holes.

Find a lot of this rock as well. Looks shinny in the sun compared to the chert. Quarts maybe? There is very little rock here in the soil at all.

Attachments

• 12224.jpg
    12224.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 500

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
that oyster shaped stone looks like a fossilized foram.

Yep, or an otolith (fish ear bone.) I would guess that it is a fossil of some sort instead of a manufactured artifact.

After the rain this morning. Really don't know if the pottery pieces are modern or not. Thin white pottery with faint blue pattern. Could just be trash but a Gopher turtle kicked all this up.

Attachments

• 12251.jpg
    12251.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 412

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Pottery is modern. A couple of those pieces of quartz look like flakes.

Thanks. Looked more like ceramic to me than pottery. Just didn't know. I chunked it and put the flakes in my almost shoe box. One day I'm going to find a great point and jump around like I killed a 12 point. I will keep looking.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Man made flakes will have a percussion bulb on one end.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Good luck, found this Bolen the wild pigs rooted up last week. Miller Co. Ga.

Attachments

• IMG_20180218_131610387.jpg
    IMG_20180218_131610387.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 390