Ossabaw island hunt questions???????

Hit-n-Miss

Never been and have no clue. When do you have to be there before the hunt? Does the ferry run all day? What all can each person bring?(Trash can full of gear, a cooler, a stand. What about a deer cart?) Can you get there lunch or so(or that eve) the day before and still have a good hunt? What all is required? Shots far(need scope) or close(open sights better)? Climber or small folding ladder better? Does each person in your party get an area? Can they connect? What can you not bring?Thanks in advance.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
What else you want to know?

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
The ferry for ossabow is a private "company" that takes you over. It's $75/ person. For the most part they run all day, but when tides change water can get rough and they will quit running.once you get selected they will mail you a letter to set up the ferry, they will tell you the earliest you can arrive. Some places are thick and some places are pretty open. The thick places are mainly from palmettos. Some places can be hard to find a tree climber worthy, but it can be done.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
A deer cart can be helpful, but they have a great road system and will drop you off in your area, even if you shoot an animal in the back side of your area, you may only have to drag a few hundred yards.

Hit-n-Miss

What else you want to know?
Can you check in after the 9:00 am check in? Any #areas always good? Does it really matter where you are to do well? Near ocean or marsh side? Should
I bring my 336 30-30 with open sights or scoped 243?

rogers001

Scoped 243 works well there. That is my gun of choice on the island. All about shot placement on a big hog with 243, but works fine.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
$75??? We went on the ferry on a hog hunt this year and it was only $10 per person.

For ossabow or sapelo.

Sapelo ferry is gov operated and is $10/person. Ossabow is independent based and is $75/person.

Cavalry Scout

Sapelo is always a lot of fun. We go during bow season and stay the week. The one managed hunt I went on was a let down. Game was not moving much at all. When the game moves, they are everywhere, when they dont, you can go the whole time and not see a squirrel. Deer really like the "transition areas" there. Edges of timber and swamp. You can get close to the marsh areas, that way you can cut off an area and keep them in front of you. Hogs will go out into the marshes!