Directions to Blue Ridge dam

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
Try to find out how to get there from Hwy 211. Thank you for any help.

Run 211 throuogh Chestnut Mtn and pick up 53 into Gainsville. Take 53 west through Dawsonville and pickup 183 west just south of Dawsonville towards Ellijay. (You can turn right in downtown Dawasonville on Shoal Creek Road which runs out into Hwy 136 West, which runs into 183 and is what you want to be on).183 runs into hwy 52 at a small intersection. Continue on 52 west towards Ellijay. Pick up 515 North and it will take you straight to Blueridge. The Toccoa River runs right under 515 just north of Blue Ridge. If you look on map quest maps it will show you a route through Dalonega whichs LOOKS shorter. Do not believe it, it will take you almost twice as long as going through Ellijay. That winding road through Suches is a killer. Pretty, but SLOW.

There is a short cut (ok not a short cut, but if you are looking for some other fishable water that is a little off the beaten path, and would like to know about it) before you get to Ellijay as well, but it would take me a little while to explain it to you. You can PM me if you like and we can talk about it.

I used to drive form Braselton 2-3 times a week to my home in Sugar Valley. I've tried them all, and this seems to be the best route that I found.

Last edited:

knifemaker

Run 211 throuogh Chestnut Mtn and pick up 53 into Gainsville. Take 53 west through Dawsonville and pickup 183 west just south of Dawsonville towards Ellijay. (You can turn right in downtown Dawasonville on Shoal Creek Road which runs out into Hwy 136 West, which runs into 183 and is what you want to be on).183 runs into hwy 52 at a small intersection. Continue on 52 west towards Ellijay. Pick up 515 North and it will take you straight to Blueridge. The Toccoa River runs right under 515 just north of Blue Ridge. If you look on map quest maps it will show you a route through Dalonega whichs LOOKS shorter. Do not believe it, it will take you almost twice as long as going through Ellijay. That winding road through Suches is a killer. Pretty, but SLOW.

There is a short cut before you get to Ellijay as well, but it would take me a little while to explain it to you. You can PM me if you like and we can talk about it.
I used to drive form Braselton 2-3 times a week to my home in Sugar Valley. I've tried them all, and this seems to be the best route that I found.

That so called short cut, goes through a settled portion of the county with a 45 MPH speed limit and is curvy as well. You're better off going til you get to the 515 intersection, safer and faster.

merc123

Yep, don't go through the short cut :)

It's faster and easier to go through Ellijay and down 515.

knifemaker

Yep, don't go through the short cut :)

It's faster and easier to go through Ellijay and down 515.

You actually get to the 515 entrance before you get to Ellijay, right accross from the antique store by the river, about a mile this side of Ellijay.

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
Yea but there are places to FISH in the short cut! I know it takes longer, but sometimes the shortest distance between to points, is another place to fish!:bounce:

knifemaker

Yea but there are places to FISH in the short cut! I know it takes longer, but sometimes the shortest distance between to points, is another place to fish!:bounce:

There is no place to fish on this shortcut, I live here.

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
There is no place to fish on this shortcut, I live here.

Oh yea, there is! I fish it reguarly, we probably crawled over the same log jam!:bounce:

You probably know my Bro in law. Caught a fish or two there as well! Bucktown ring a bell?

merc123

You actually get to the 515 entrance before you get to Ellijay, right accross from the antique store by the river, about a mile this side of Ellijay.

Details details, sheesh :bounce:

Still faster even if you go under the bridge and come out by the Hardees than taking the shortcut :)

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
buncha mountain hoooogers quit cher fussin'!

knifemaker

Oh yea, there is! I fish it reguarly, we probably crawled over the same log jam!:bounce:

You probably know my Bro in law. Caught a fish or two there as well! Bucktown ring a bell?

The shortcut isn't anywhere near Bucktown, That would be the real long way around.:biggrin3:

knifemaker

Details details, sheesh :bounce:

Still faster even if you go under the bridge and come out by the Hardees than taking the shortcut :)

-------Your right. -----Ain't arguing, just didn't want someone to go into Ellijay, (East Ellijay, yeah, but not Ellijay), then start huntin 515.:bounce:

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
---Hi, ----still ain't got the tin on the hunt camp. We got a bunch of slackers for members.

Good gosh!!!!

you are gonna lose the land before you get it on!

knifemaker

Good gosh!!!!

you are gonna lose the land before you get it on!

You may be right, guess We'll (myself & son) will have to make it a springtime project.

Good to hear from you, hope you're doing well.

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
The shortcut isn't anywhere near Bucktown, That would be the real long way around.:biggrin3:

Yea but if you get a back pack, start a Cartecay Estates, hike across Stover High Top near the old Air Plane Crash site, camp at Sourwood Springs, hike due north a few miles and drop off the west side of the mountain in Cherry Log, you'll be a little closer!:bounce:
No fishable water up there either but its an nice little walk. Even know where old man Pettit used to hang his lantern on his way across when he and his family used to go across to visit family. Droped it off on his way, picked it up on his way back. Interesting how folks used to live, we might all be doing it again some day.

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator

There is a short cut (ok not a short cut, but if you are looking for some other fishable water that is a little off the beaten path, and would like to know about it, and is an alternate route to Blue Ridge) before you get to Ellijay as well, but it would take me a little while to explain it to you. You can PM me if you like and we can talk about it.

I repaired the thread, so no one else will get confused as to what I'm talking about. Maybe I should type more plainly, sorry for the confussion!

Last edited: