new kitchen knife

dawgwatch

The wife ask me to build her a kitchen knife, so I gave it a go. Not perfect by any means, but I am pleased....1095, walnut handles, with red spacers, and nickel bolsters and pins...

Attachments

• IMG_1509.jpg
    IMG_1509.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,141
  • IMG_1510.jpg
    IMG_1510.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,136
  • IMG_1511.jpg
    IMG_1511.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 1,135
  • IMG_1512.jpg
    IMG_1512.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 1,139

wvdawg

Staff member
Good one - should do well in the kitchen!

T-N-T

Way to go cuz. You are coming along nicely.

Now just tell your ol Man to come off that anvil he stole the other day

Anvil Head

Not bad DW! Ought to see some serious kitchen duty.

Couple of tips for future work, specially with kitchen knives: use stabilized or dense oily wood for handle material - will standup to rigors longer (walnut is a bit open grained and prone to water damage); thin the tang more to reduce handle weight for better weight forward cutting balance; maybe bring your primary cutting bevel further up the blade so it will slice/chop a little easier/cleaner (test on a ripe tomato); focus on joint gaps and seals to reduce potential water damage.

Like I said these are things to consider on the next ones. Pushing to do a little better each time makes you better at your craft. Forget "fancy" stuff (bling) and focus on basics until they become a given in your work efforts, bling will follow.

Quite good for early work. Kitchen knives have a geometry all their own that makes them work best. Much diff from hunting/fishing/utility blades. Keep at it you will only get better.

dawgwatch

Thanks for the tips Anvil....I means a lot for people who have been doing this for a while to offer advice. I never thought about the open grain of Walnut, just used what I had at the time...Hopefully I can make it up to track rock one day if my schedule could work out...

Dr. Strangelove

Nice looking knife!

Anvil Head

Walnut is generally a great handle material, just doesn't do well in a "wet" environment for long. You might be able to seal it with a good sealer/finish and keep it waxed on a regular basis. It does take stabilization well, but if you get that done it's more sensible to get/stabilize the more figured pieces (expense wise).

Don't mind helping others where/when I can. I have a lot of experience at what not to do and why things don't/won't work, pretty much tried most of them (seems easier to try the wrong way first).

TNGIRL

nice knife! I bet your wife loved it and has cooked a great meal using it!:cool: