Civil war books

Caseypatton

Can anyone recommend any books that may have battles around the Dalton tunnel hill area would like to find one with a few maps

Last edited by a moderator:

Anvil Head

May have to search through info on the surrounding battle field areas such as Chicamauga, Lookout and Signal. Can't remember seeing anything Tunnel Hill specific.

squirreldoghunter

Try Jeff Shaara's The Smoke at Dawn. Covers the time from the end of Chickamauga to Missionary Ridge to Cleburne's defense of Tunnel Hill and the retreat toward Dalton. There's a good many maps.

muzzy17is

Hey man if you find anything good post some pics. I have family up in that area and want to start detecting when I'm up there visiting. I'm also gonna start checking around the Athens area. I have some friends there that live on a farm that we visit a couple times a year. Might start doing some detecting there as well.

Caseypatton

Ive dug a few bullets I'm pretty new to the game hard to find a place to hunt I'm still in search for a button

Jeff Raines

If it's a book of maps you want,a must have is-The Official Military Atlas of the Civil War.You can order it on line.

Or you can go to ehistory and view those same plates for free.Here is the link to view the plates.
https://ehistory.osu.edu/books/official-records/atlas

click on view the plates and scroll down and click on plate 58 to see Ga.north of Etowah river.

While you're at ehistory you can also check out the official recoreds of the civil war.Type in a place or creek name in the search engine.

rayjay

I have "The Civil War Battlefield Guide" from The Conservation Fund by Frances Kennedy. Has lots of maps.

You can buy these sorts of books cheap off Ebay or at thrift stores, Goodwill, etc. You can afford to buy a lot of books when they are .50 cents to $4.00 :)

Pop

The Official Military Atlas of The Civil War

By Major George B. Davis, US Army, Leslie J. Perry, Civilian Expert

The book is available through Barnes and Noble

This book has 821 maps, 106 Engravings and 209 drawings of the different battles. Very informative and really interesting