Pot Call Advice

CrookedLathe

Hello everyone. I'm fairly new to the call making world. I've turned a couple with some success, but I'm not getting the quality that I would like. If anyone would like to drop some advice on anything to do with making these calls, I would greatly appreciate it. For example, best wood (personal preference, I know), any dimensions such as gaps between striker surface and sound board, slate quality and where you get your slate or other building materials, and any other general advice you would like to drop. Thanks in advance.

ol bob

The wood does not matter if you know what your doing you can make any wood sound good.as for everything else keep making call write down everything you do and what difference the changes make,in time you will be a call maker but you will never stop trying new thing because you will soon fine there is no perfect sound what one customer wants you couldn't give to another hunter so you keep trying new things. Its better if finding the answers your self so you can become a call maker and not a call builder.

Last edited by a moderator:

grouperdawg

The wood does not matter if you know what your doing you can make any wood sound good.as for everything else keep making call write down everything you do and what difference the changes make,in time you will be a call maker but you will never stop trying new thing because you will soon fine there is no perfect sound what one customer wants you couldn't give to another hunter so you keep trying new things. Its better if finding the answers your self so you can become a call maker and not a call builder.

This is all really good advice

I think most slate comes from the same area in PA, brookside is good, alot of people order from a guy named Stumpy. Any call supplier will provide good PA slate, you can experiment sanding to different thicknesses.

.088 off the top of my head is where to start with soundboard and surface gap. About the depth of a glass sound board or some people use a quarter which is smaller.

Closer more rasp, higher pitched, further away deeper less rasp. Too far either direction will sound bad.

Everything's important, keep a log as above and only change one thing at a time. Pedestal width, pedestal placement, one piece vs cut out, surface ledge width, etc etc You need to kind of figure it out by making lots of calls.

Wood is everything with box calls, not so important with pots.

Last edited by a moderator: