breech plug stuck in muzzleloader

miles58

Banned yankee
Take the barrel off(one screw). Put it in a vice, muzzle down. Kroil it (or any other decent penetrating oil) around the plug. Give it a day or two to penetrate. If it won't come out clear the flash hole with a pick or wire, load it and fire it. Kroil it again for a day or so. It will come out now.

Eric Lewis

choke tube lube

PB blaster works but it really stinks
:smash: Once / if you get it out use choke tube lube or SYNTHETIC grease on the threads.

Good luck

OEFOIFvet88

Well got the plug out and discovered another problem, the barrel was extremely rusted. Went to Home depot and got some naval jelly, took most of the rust off, but there is still some in there. Now do you think the gun will be ok to shoot with the little bit in there?

OEFOIFvet88

just was not sure if the rust would do anything to the flight of the bullet or anything like that

My 2 CVA's are rusty as Hades. They shoot just fine. I gave up trying to clean the bores to a shine years ago and just accepted that muzzleloading propellants are highly corrosive. I usually run 2 wet patches through them, then 4 or 5 dry patches, then spray them with RemOil and put them in the cabinet until the next season. I ALWAYS apply a liberal amount of Anti-Seize lubricant to the breech plug before reinstalling it. I also use the AS lube on my shotgun choke tubes.

polaris30144

Again, I can't emphasize enough to leave the breech plug alone! I just as soon have mine WELDED in place. If you get something stuck in the bore, then use a ball/bullet puller screw and pull it out from the muzzle end. If you can't get it out no other way, you can always unscrew your nipple and push some 4F into the hole and replace nipple - then fire. It should be enough to kick out the projectile. I've done it many, many times. Why else would you need to remove the breech plug but to clean or remove a dry load? :huh: Good luck.

Inlines are designed to have the breach plug removed for proper barrel cleaning and cleaning of the primer pocket. Cap locks and flint locks are a whole different story. You are talking apples to the OP's oranges.

stevetarget

Again, I can't emphasize enough to leave the breech plug alone! I just as soon have mine WELDED in place. If you get something stuck in the bore, then use a ball/bullet puller screw and pull it out from the muzzle end. If you can't get it out no other way, you can always unscrew your nipple and push some 4F into the hole and replace nipple - then fire. It should be enough to kick out the projectile. I've done it many, many times. Why else would you need to remove the breech plug but to clean or remove a dry load? :huh: Good luck.
if you had to put 4 f in your gun to remove the load then maybe you should consider cleaning the breach plug.
If you have a inline muzzle loader you should take the plug out and clean out the flash hole. A lot of older front loaders with side nipples were never meant to have the plug removed those I agree with not even trying to take it out but, inlines need cleaning and you cant just stuff some 4F in nipple to remove a load.

YankeeRedneck

I store mine in the off season with the plug out so theres no chance of it ceasing up. I'm a scardy cat of getting it stuck.