Swaping clutch on backhoe

Luke0927

I thought this might be a good spot for this since a lot of tractor folks on here.

We have a old Case CK backhoe from around the 70's. By we I mean my grandpa and me we are neighbors and share equipment between each other etc...

Well my uncle put a clutch in it several years ago and it served well. I remember them having to split the the thing to put it in and it was a pretty big job.

Unfortunately he passed away a few months ago. Clutch has gone (or from my experience seem like a clutch failure) and can barely pull it self, motor and hydraulics are good and I could really use it for some projects.

I just don't think it would be worth paying someone to do the install for what the whole thing is worth though.

Anything special about doing it on a backhoe is it just basically like a truck clutch disk pressure plate, resurface the flywheel? Its a shuttle shift transmission.

I have a A frame hoist I could use to help hold it up to split but wonder how much of a job it would be to really get it done.

What do you guys think can a handy do it yourselfer get it done?

doomtrpr_z71

Are you sure it's the clutch disk? The filter needing changing can cause issues. You would have to split it but since it's a shuttle there could be other issues related to the fluid instead of the clutch disks needing changing.

Stroker

It can be a big job. It's going to be a more difficult process to replace the clutch in a backhoe than a normal open station tractor because of the attachments. You will need to remove the hoe or FEL to simplify splitting the main tractor. It can be done with them attached but removing one or both will make it a whole lot easier. Make sure your A frame and hoist has the lifting capacity and wheels that will roll while under load. Feel free to PM me for additional suggestion/help.

Luke0927

I was reading around and saw some mention of the filter, I want to check into this fluid levels always seem fine.

Stroker, the A frame is what they used before so it should be good and I'll reach out in PM too, I'll grab some pictures and post some things up first.

This is a 580B, would they have the services manuals (similar to a FSM repair manual) for older equipment like this?

Luke0927

Looks like that is an old dead link.

I found this on yesterdays tractors, anyone know what he means by torque tube? I want to check this filter and look into this screen also? Thoughts

"The 580CK Power Shuttle oil filter is mounted behind the grille, in front of the radiator. The oil source is the TCH in the torque tube. Dipstick is welded to the underside of the hex head plug just in front of the floor shift lever. This oil pump and oil supply feeds the Torque Converter and Power Shuttle clutches.
The pump is mounted high in the case and has a vertical pickup tube with a screen wrapped around the bottom end. This screen often get restricted with debris and slows initial draw into the pump. After pressure builds the GPM of oil is not large. This screen may be your culprut.
The 580CK's did not ever have a hydrostatic transmission.

The filter located on the loader frame just in front of the loader controls is for the totally independent Loader-Backhoe system. Hydraulic oil is used for this system. L-B pump is crankshaft driven at the front. This pump is mounted under the radiator. Changing this oil and filter will have no effect on the Power Shuttle - Torque Converter."

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=case&th=115580

Latest posts