Do you have to be Baptized to go to Heaven?

farmasis

How you gonna ask for forgiveness in the first place without the knowledge that Jesus is Lord?

It is not enough to know that Jesus is Lord, even the demons know that and they tremble. Salvation is asking for forgiveness and believing that Jesus died on a cross for our sins and was raised again in 3 days and that he now sits on the right of the father and reconciles us to God.

farmasis

Very simple, baptism alone does not save, but its "part" of the plan of salvation.

I see it more as part of the sanctification process, but a minor point to bicker about.

I would ask what you think would happen to someone who became born again, but died before he could be baptised?

Heaven or the other place?

Tim L

I dont see how you can come to that conclusion.............

Very simple, baptism alone does not save, but its "part" of the plan of salvation.

Exactly...its not the only thing but its one of the things we are commanded to do....in the early church christians didn't have any problems understanding this, but now 90%of denominations have forsaken christian baptism as it was actually taught in the New Testament.......Now folks will argue against it till their blue in the face playing "biblical simon says" picking and choosing their verses to support their beliefs...well you don't pick and choose, you accept it all or nothing....accept christ as your savoir, repent of your sins, and be baptized...not one, not two, all three...

But, I'm getting drawn into it myself now (biblical simon says), which is something I dispise when its christians argueing with other christians....so I will shut up now..

Lead Poison

It is not enough to know that Jesus is Lord, even the demons know that and they tremble. Salvation is asking for forgiveness and believing that Jesus died on a cross for our sins and was raised again in 3 days and that he now sits on the right of the father and reconciles us to God.

Exactly.

Salvation does not require one to be baptized. However, I believe those who accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior should be baptized, as it is a public profession of faith in Jesus.

farmasis

Exactly...its not the only thing but its one of the things we are commanded to do....in the early church christians didn't have any problems understanding this, but now 90%of denominations have forsaken christian baptism as it was actually taught in the New Testament.......Now folks will argue against it till their blue in the face playing "biblical simon says" picking and choosing their verses to support their beliefs...well you don't pick and choose, you accept it all or nothing....accept christ as your savoir, repent of your sins, and be baptized...not one, not two, all three...

But, I'm getting drawn into it myself now (biblical simon says), which is something I dispise when its christians argueing with other christians....so I will shut up now..

Let's just say, if you do all 3 you will be saved no doubt!

However, if you are up to a little game... let's pick and choose this verse.

Mark 16:16

Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved..

(pretty straightforward right?)

ooops, let's finish.

...but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

So, what happens to those who believe only and are not baptised?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader

I dont think I ever led anyone to think otherwise, at least not intentionaly. I have always stood behind that there is more to salvation than just simply believing. Im not quiet sure were on the same page here:huh:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Let's just say, if you do all 3 you will be saved no doubt!

However, if you are up to a little game... let's pick and choose this verse.

Mark 16:16

Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved..

(pretty straightforward right?)

ooops, let's finish.

...but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

So, what happens to those who believe only and are not baptised?

They are just simply believers.

I believe in the constitution of marriage, but just because I beleive in it did not make me married...............

farmasis

Really? Then Mark 16 vs 16 and maybe Acts 2 vs 38 are typos:huh:

Are John 1:12; John 3:14-18; John 5:24; John 11:25-26; Acts 10:43; Acts 13:39; Acts 16:31; Acts 26:18; Romans 10:9; Ephesians 1:12-14 all typos?

I have given an explanation of Mark 16:16 and Acts 2:38. How about explaning why bapitsm was not included in the verses above.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in baptism. I am a Baptist, but do not believe it necessary for salvation, according to the word.

BRANCHWYNN

SO, example....if I am a brand spankin new CHRISTIAN.....and I get steps one and two down but I get hit by a MACK TRUCK....Im gone miss heaven after JESUS saved me THROUGH the HOLY SPIRIT in my HEART. Because, I didn't make it to the creek fast enough? I guess the church you attend must immediately BAPTIZE you on the spot.....if not, you may want to push for them to HAVE THE BAPTISMAL POOL ALWAYS FULL. A new CHRISTIAN (BY THESE SET OF STANDARDS TO BE TRULY SAVED) probably doesn't know he aint goin to HEAVEN TILL he is submerged?? :hair:

SORRY, I JUST DISAGREE.

CHRISTIANITY.....ITS NOT A RELIGION.....ITS A RELATIONSHIP.

Last edited:

BRANCHWYNN

Born Again!!!!!!!!

Well, in another thread, this got brought up. See quote below.

I do believe that baptism is a command from God. I believe that it is for people that have turned from Sin to God (ie true believers...not for babies or infants). However, there is no scripture that points to the fact that you must be baptized to be saved.

For those of you who believe this, I bring up the thief on the cross next to Christ. He didn't turn from his sin until moments before his death. He wasn't baptized, yet Christ says to him that they will see eachother in paradise (Heaven).

THERE IS YOUR ANSWER RIGHT THERE........not for babies or infants.....what does it mean to be born again? whether we are 8 or 80 on the day that we accept JESUS gift of salvation, and we become born again through CHILD LIKE FAITH (NOT CAUSE MY DADDY AND GRAND DADDY WENT TO CHURCH EVERY SUNDAY AND SO HAVE I) that JESUS is the SON of GOD who came to SAVE the world and accept HIM as LORD (THATS RIGHT, we are also suppose to let HIM take control of our lives....the biggest STRUGGLE of our CHRISTIAN life) and SAVIOR, he will reveal to us through FELLOWSHIP with other CHRISTIANS and HIS HOLY SPIRIT his commandments and his WILL. Being SAVED by JESUS and being a CHRISTIAN are two totally different things. The day I am saved, I am a baby CHRISTIAN who must grow in GODS REVEALED WISDOM FOR ME. If we are of the world on the day we are saved, our WORLDLY sins are revealed to us on our daily walk with JESUS. If not, we remain SAVED but, the crowns that we lay at HIS feet will be few and our earthly lives unfulfilled due to disobedience of what we do not seek for HIM and HIS GLORY.....including to be BAPTIZED after we have been saved by HIM.

Last edited:

rjcruiser

Are John 1:12; John 3:14-18; John 5:24; John 11:25-26; Acts 10:43; Acts 13:39; Acts 16:31; Acts 26:18; Romans 10:9; Ephesians 1:12-14 all typos?

I have given an explanation of Mark 16:16 and Acts 2:38. How about explaning why bapitsm was not included in the verses above.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in baptism. I am a Baptist, but do not believe it necessary for salvation, according to the word.

I agree with Farmasis on this one. I believe that one needs to be baptized and that christians who have not been baptized are not following God's command. However, if you are a christian and you die without having been baptized, God isn't going to reject you based on that one decision. Are you going to be held accountable for not obeying? Yes....will you be in heaven with God for eternity? Yes.

Again, Baptism is not required for salvation, but is part of the sanctification process.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader

farmasis, this is not about the name over the door of the Church, Those scriptures, they ALL go hand in hand actually. You cant just use one of them and leave the rest out, isnt that what they call "cherry picking". Just because 8 say just call on the name of the Lord and you shall be saved and 4 say repent, be baptized and so forth and 2 say simply believe......................................

You cant just accept the majority and overlook the rest, put the whole new Test into context. You have to understand that by calling on the name of the Lord and or believing is part of repentance. Remember, faith without works is dead. Where does that leave just believing without repentance and baptism? Does that also make the devils saved cause they believe to?

How bout explaining we were told in black and white at least twice to do it, no where can you find that you were told you dont have to do it.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
SO, example....if I am a brand spankin new CHRISTIAN.....and I get steps one and two down but I get hit by a MACK TRUCK....Im gone miss heaven after JESUS saved me THROUGH the HOLY SPIRIT in my HEART. Because, I didn't make it to the creek fast enough? I guess the church you attend must immediately BAPTIZE you on the spot.....if not, you may want to push for them to HAVE THE BAPTISMAL POOL ALWAYS FULL. A new CHRISTIAN (BY THESE SET OF STANDARDS TO BE TRULY SAVED) probably doesn't know he aint goin to HEAVEN TILL he is submerged?? :hair:

SORRY, I JUST DISAGREE.

CHRISTIANITY.....ITS NOT A RELIGION.....ITS A RELATIONSHIP.

we keep ours full all the time.

I only know of a few folks that denied baptism..............

I dont recall seeing them in service for the last several years either.............

Says alot for them.......................:smash::smash:

Can you lose your salvation? Sure you can! Just as you had to choose to accept Christ you can choose to deny him also.

He who endures to the end will be saved (Matthew 10:22)

He who perseveres to the end will be saved (Matthew 24:13

Whoever loses his life for my sake will be saved (Mark 8:35)

We shall be saved through the grace of Jesus (Acts 15:11)

Since we are justified, we shall be saved (Romans 5:9-10)

Salvation is nearer now than first believed (Romans 13:10)

he will be saved but only as through fire (1Corinthians 3:15)

deliver man to Satan so his spirit might be saved (1Corinthians 5:5)

Jesus will appear a second time, to bring salvation (Hebrews 9:28)

It is reckless to think that you can ask Jesus into your heart then do whatever you wish without consequence.

DW

farmasis

farmasis, this is not about the name over the door of the Church, Those scriptures, they ALL go hand in hand actually. You cant just use one of them and leave the rest out, isnt that what they call "cherry picking". Just because 8 say just call on the name of the Lord and you shall be saved and 4 say repent, be baptized and so forth and 2 say simply believe......................................

You cant just accept the majority and overlook the rest, put the whole new Test into context. You have to understand that by calling on the name of the Lord and or believing is part of repentance. Remember, faith without works is dead. Where does that leave just believing without repentance and baptism? Does that also make the devils saved cause they believe to?

How bout explaining we were told in black and white at least twice to do it, no where can you find that you were told you dont have to do it.

It's not cherry picking, it's putting scripture in context. Just like faith without works is dead must be put into context. It is not dead to God, it is dead in the eyes of man. Faith is all God needs.

Of course we are to be baptised, just as we are to go out and preach the gospel-- but that doesn't save us, it sanctifies us.

P

PJason

We should also remember that the baptisms we are seeing in the Bible are of converts, adults. The baptizing of whole households would have to include infants and children too. I would guess if baptizing infants was strictly forbidden it would have been negligent to not include it in the scripture.

rjcruiser

Why did they baptize entire households in the Bible and not exclude infants and babies?

Didn't know that they did include the infants and the babies. How do you know that there were infants/babies in the household? Also, Luke points that the Word of God was spoken to all those who were baptized, thus suggesting that not infants, but those who could hear the Word, were baptized. See Acts 16:30-33

30 [The jailer said], "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" 31 And they said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you shall be saved, you and your household." 32 And they spoke the word of the Lord to him together with all who were in his house. 33 And he took them that very hour of the night and washed their wounds, and immediately he was baptized, he and all his household. 34 And he brought them into his house and set food before them, and rejoiced greatly, having believed in God with his whole household.