Elk at Cherokee

Huntinfool

Crud. You're right. My fault. It is the Ocanaluftee center which is on the other side of the NF near Cherokee. Sorry about that. I was thinking it was Sugarlands.

That one is probably another 45 minutes from gatlinburg. Sorry to get you all excited man. May not be closer than your other option. But either way they were sure nuff there.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
So would driving to the Cataloochee elk areas be faster from Gatlinburg than driving to Cherokee from Gatlinburg?

I've been pullin up what ya'll tellin me on google maps and the Cataloochee looks a fair bit farther. But I know that faster roads can make a HUGE difference in actual destination time.

Thanks y'all!!!!!!!!

GT92

I saw a picture taken of an elk in Highlands NC on the golf course. They are likely to be seen anywhere.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, National Forest.

If they aren't in the fields next to the center, you can keep going on down that road and there are several other fields on the right that we've also seen elk in from time to time.

Nothing is guaranteed. But there are elk in that area regularly. I would bet they come down into that field by the visitor's center just about every day based on how many there were.

The area of Cherokee and Cataloochee is smoky mountains national park, actually, not national forest. Lots of NF here too, but you can hunt on the national forest, you can't on the national park.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
So would driving to the Cataloochee elk areas be faster from Gatlinburg than driving to Cherokee from Gatlinburg?

I've been pullin up what ya'll tellin me on google maps and the Cataloochee looks a fair bit farther. But I know that faster roads can make a HUGE difference in actual destination time.

Thanks y'all!!!!!!!!

Cherokee probably a little quicker once you figure in the half-hour winding gravel road to get to Cataloochee. Wherever you go, unless it's a drizzly day, you usually won't see any or many until right before dark.