How to prevent dumping on land

FishingAddict

Hey guys,

I have some property that is on a well traveled road. Someone dumped a dumptruck load of construction stuff and tires on it...enough to fill a 30 yard dumpster.

I don't want someone to make a habit of it. Any ideas on how to prevent it from happening again?

Thanks!

Wild Turkey

From what I understand the Gamewarden can issue state fines for tire dumping that are much more harsh then the local leo's.
Mine said to call him when I catch them and not the local leo. He will call leo for backup if needed. My experience is if you dig thru the pile you will find something to link it to the dumper. Receipts etc.

MattyIce

Like Wild Turkey said, see if you can find something to determine who it is. I had someone dumping on some hunting property of mine last year and found a piece of mail with their address on it, called gamewarden and he took care of it. No more problems since.

Wild Turkey

We had a bunch of stuff dumped over the years. One incident i found a receipt which directed me to a house in a fairly nice subdivision. Mexicans. I backed the truck up and dumped all over their yard including some extra trash. Had a leo with me so it was all good. The look on their faces was priceless.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
We had a bunch of stuff dumped over the years. One incident i found a receipt which directed me to a house in a fairly nice subdivision. Mexicans. I backed the truck up and dumped all over their yard including some extra trash. Had a leo with me so it was all good. The look on their faces was priceless.

Wild Turkey, I like your style.

Definitely check for any receipts, info, etc.

I had someone dump trash on my property several years ago and I picked through it and found a letter from Social Security Dept to a guy advising him of his increased benefits etc. I went straight to the guy's house and I told him that he had 1 hour to remove his trash, otherwise, he wouldn't have to worry about any new increased SSI benefits. He came and removed it while I stood guard with my .40 cal Glock on my side and I told him never to even think about dumping trash again on someone else property. He got the message.

I had another case that someone dumped some garbage etc and it also had some of their mail inside. (Some people are idiots). I called the local LEO and he stopped by and he was a friend of the culprit and he told me that he would visit the guy and make him clean it up later that afternoon and also advise never to do it again. It was cleaned up totally by sundown and the culprit apologized to me for doing it.

Backlasher82

As everybody else has said, do some digging to see if you can find out who dumped the trash and have them clean up their mess.

But even if you can't get them to clean it up, it HAS to be cleaned up! If you have to clean it your self do it as soon as possible. If you don't, before you know it your land will become the local dump and you'll have to stand guard 24/7 to stop the steady stream of trucks coming out to dump trash on your property.

And word spreads quick!

j_seph

Need to get Sherrif involved not GW, Dumping wouldn't be considered a game law.

CAL

Had this to happen on my farm.I found a letter or two and called the sheriff.A deputy came immediately and took the letter to the person who's name was on the letter.The trash was gone with in a couple of hrs.No more problems.Funny how the news travels about calling the sheriff.

Robert28

you guys are LUCKY to have found letters, reciepts, etc to determine the scum who did the dumping. i've spent many hours picking up many piles of trash over the years and only ONE time did i find a reciept that let me to the people who dumped on my land. that turned out to be the local gas station and i was told they would recieve a hefty fine, who knows if they did or not though. most of the time people dump tires, washing machines, chairs, swimming pool equipment, trash that has NO contents with their name or address on it, catfish bones(this is seasonal when the catfish are biting but happens every year like clockwork.). it's very fristrating and since i own the land on both sides of the county owned dirt road i've made it VERY clear to the county that i'm sick and tired of this.

Al Medcalf

DNR will write them a ticket in a heartbeat..That's who I called when I had the problem

dick7.62

DNR will write them a ticket in a heartbeat..That's who I called when I had the problem

My brother called the sheriff about trash dumping. The sheriff sent the game warden. He got it cleaned up immediately. There were papers with the culprit's name on it in the trash.

jabb06

on our hunting land we had a pile of trash that filled nearly 4 30 yard containers.i found mail to several people in different areas of the pile.here in bulloch county we have a code enforcement officer.i gave him the mail he wrote the tickets.ive used the sheriffs office when people were leaving their 4 wheelers stuck in our ponds.i called the game warden when somebody threw out a few dead hunting dogs on our place opening morning.healthy looking dogs except for the holes in their heads.we put gates at every drive & put up no dumping,no tresspassing signs.

Havana Dude

Had this to happen on my farm.I found a letter or two and called the sheriff.A deputy came immediately and took the letter to the person who's name was on the letter.The trash was gone with in a couple of hrs.No more problems.Funny how the news travels about calling the sheriff.

Almost the same thing happened to me. Someone dumped a truck load of garbage, all in bags, on the timber company land I drive through to get to our place. I call LEO, then I dug through it to find out whos it was, and found the needed info. Took it and met the LEO, and he said he would take care of it. LEO called back a couple hours later, said the guy would have it gone before dark, and did I want to press charges. I told him no, did not want to ruin someones life over this, but told LEO to tell him to never set foot on this land again, or we would press charges at that point. From that day forward, now we have to go through a locked gate to get to our place. Never did before, never had ad any problems.

It's not a game law, but it is an "environmental law", which DNR is charged with enforcing. GW took care of the last illegal dump we had on our land.

Knotwild

Put up a game camera in the most likely spots. Then call DNR.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw

dnr handles dumping too. in many counties the local's wont touch it.

then there's the Ga Environmental Protection Division of DNR that handles it from another, civil, perspective.

T

Last edited: