Another Lime Question

Local Boy

I realize that disking the ground before applying lime is best. But, a straightfoward question: How effective is applying lime on an unplowed food plot? Plot was planted in fall (oats, wheat, rye, clover) and will be replanted in the coming fall. Pulverized lime would be used (now). Thanks!

CAL

Most likely the lime will be washed away from the rain or washed into puddles where it will become located.Some places will have lime and some places will not.I don't think it is a good idea.I would wait till right before disking and apply it then.

GA Farm Boy

Never tried it without harrowing, but one thing that might be worth trying is pelletized lime. They might have more of a chance at doing some good, being they are slow desolving.

Belk

The time to lime is ANY time you can get it on! It takes about 3 months to start working on adjusting in the soil. I have spread/ broadcast pelletized lime on my clover / Chicory plots and have seen good results ! Yes the best way is till it in! Your wasting time & $ on fertilzer if your pH is acidic (4-5)

gadeerwoman

With cattle pastures and hay fields we always had to apply lime without harrowing growing up (bulk powdered lime) and I've done it on several food plots when I didn't have any way to till. If the land is fairly flat I'd definitely rather put out lime any way I had to than put out none at all.

ccwonka

Lime

Well, I use pelletized lime on my yard every year, and it does wonders. Obviously I don't tear up my yard to do this . . . I would say that once it gets washed in it should be just fine, it wouldn't be as perfectly even as if it were disced in, but then again, do you think the soil is naturaly even in nutrients and minerals?

I'd say DO IT without reservation.

CC

deuce

Gone but not forgotten
Don't even think about it Go ahead and lime. Lime anytime and everytime you get a chance to.

Retired Army Guy

ANY TIME you can put it on or in the ground in Ga is a good time! Its practically impossible to put out to much Lime on Ga soil. :bounce: