Assurance of Salvation

fish hawk

Bass Master
This was a Southern Baptist Church but most of my beliefs were from my Mom as it was her job to do the child rearing. She wasn't allowed to wear shorts, play cards, say "I swear" or "you're lying", etc. growing up. Her grandparents raised her and the went to New Hope Baptist Church in Ambrose, Georgia.
Funny....I grew up in Ambrose and lived right around the corner from the church.

StriperAddict

The subject of the law has come up in this thread, and I believe it could help this discussion again. Allow my puny brain a question to believers here:

When you are tempted with sin, coveting/lust, for example, do you...

make the choice not to sin because the bible says not to?

or do you...

make the choice not to sin because you are free?

;)

CollinsCraft77

You guys make this pretty complex. I find it simple. My son does not stop being my son when he does wrong. He is still my son and he gets disciplined. Now I love him and he could run away and I never see him again. He will still be my son and I will still and always love him. Now I am just a man. Imperfect. But my love for my boy is constant.

How much more so with God? He may chastise, etc. but nothing, and I mean nothing shall pluck them out of his hand.

hobbs27

This is actually one of you guys reasonings. If a Christians goes off the deep end and rapes or murders someone, then he was never a Christian. This is a form of OSAS Lite Edition:

OSAS Lite

I call it "Lite" as a tongue in cheek kind of joke regarding to popular beers and alchohols, it still causes a drunken stupor, but with half the calories! This version teaches that a person is saved forever just by their little moment of faith, however, if they commit heinous sinful acts, then they were never really saved to begin with. The OSAS Lite crowd has the same cookie-cutter answers to just about every verse used to refute them. Usually their sneaky way out when I confront them on people backsliding, or falling into evil, turning from God etc. is to answer something along the lines of "They were never saved to begin with, or they wouldn't have done [evil deed] but once a person is really saved, then they can never become unsaved and will never [evil deed] for the rest of their life." It's very clever, but not irrefutable, here are the verses that the OSAS Lite folks cannot answer:....

http://www.thejesuscommandment.com/osas.html

At the end of this link you provided the guy suggests those that believe as I do are not Real Christians....
Ive read your posts and felt the spirit in your words, and I don't suggest you are not a Real Christian for your beliefs, but some that believe in Salvation just coming and going, I wonder sometimes if they aren't trying to do the impossible by attempting to live free of sin just to prove to themselves they are saved.
The night Jesus saved me, I was twelve years old and let me tell you...There's no question as to what happened.It was the most spiritual experience I've ever had...I don't think experiences like that just come and go...I fear some that are trying to live it to prove to themselves are lacking something...Too many folks are being misled by being drug down to altars, told to just repeat this prayer, or sign this card..or just confess Jesus....I wish the whole world could share with me what Jesus gave to me that night!

Artfuldodger

At the end of this link you provided the guy suggests those that believe as I do are not Real Christians....
Ive read your posts and felt the spirit in your words, and I don't suggest you are not a Real Christian for your beliefs, but some that believe in Salvation just coming and going, I wonder sometimes if they aren't trying to do the impossible by attempting to live free of sin just to prove to themselves they are saved.
The night Jesus saved me, I was twelve years old and let me tell you...There's no question as to what happened.It was the most spiritual experience I've ever had...I don't think experiences like that just come and go...I fear some that are trying to live it to prove to themselves are lacking something...Too many folks are being misled by being drug down to altars, told to just repeat this prayer, or sign this card..or just confess Jesus....I wish the whole world could share with me what Jesus gave to me that night!

I don't agree with everything the guy was saying in the link. It was just provided for reference.I've heard preachers say certain denominations weren't real Christians because they were baptised wrong etc. I personally would never try to guess anyones salvation let alone say whether they are a Christian or not.
Please forgive me if I come across as doing that.

barryl

Trust and Pride

From the top, Do you trust in the FINISHED work of the Lord Jesus Christ ? Before you answer,take a few minutes to study the doctrines of Salvation{Soteriology} Adoption{changed position}, Regeneration { a changed nature},Justification {a changed standing}, sanctification{a changed character}, Imputation{sinner is charged with Christ's righteousness and Jesus Christ is charged with his sins}. If you ever get hold of these things you will never doubt your salvation. You will know the difference between a charasmatic experience or feeling and Bible regeneration. You will know when a man is lying to you when he is quoting the Scripture or when a man is trying to decieve you by quoting Scripture. Work of Righteuosness Isaiah 32:17 KJV 1611 AV Do you trust Gods perfect righteuosness, The Lord Jesus Christ, or are you trusting your own selfrighteousness ? Only two knows, you and God !! Its been mentioned earlier that assurance does'nt mean much to God, go ask him, I believe you will find out whether it does or not !! Now go and get alone with God, get it worked out with him and his son 2 Cor. 5:21 KJV 1611 AV You can know ! Knowing will make you an effective witness for Christ !!!!

hobbs27

I went back and re-read his closing statements. I would say he went overboard with some of his remarks.

Agree, and I know you don't judge as he did.How about a non-alcoholic cheers? :cheers:

fish hawk

Bass Master
Nice little town, I've got a lot of family buried at New Hope, they migrated down from Upson County.

When I moved from Ambrose gas was .50 cent a gallon:cry:...I still have a lot of kin folk that live in Coffee Co.

Mako22

BANNED
I've always been amazed at some people's/group's preoccupation with this subject.
It certainly wasn't a subject that any of the apostles or disciples taught in book of Acts.
The subject itself is not taught in Romans or any of the other writings.
OSAS is a phrase I never ever speak or hear until I get on this forum. I don't study it in the Bible, and I don't need it to find comfort and assurance of my own salvation.
Jesus is the Lord of my life, that's why I know I'm going to heaven.

"Assurance of Salvation??" Someplace in America tonight, there's bound to be small groups of people gathered together, drinking, using drugs, dealing with hangovers, etc. At some point they'll get into a discussion of God and religion. At least a few of them, thought they've never even accepted Jesus as their Lord, will claim they are "certain" they are 'as saved as anybody else'.
Your "assurance" means nothing to God unless it's based upon Christ as your Lord.
Remember what Jesus said: "Not all who say unto me Lord Lord will enter into the kingdom of God, but he that......... what now, what did he say?..... You know what he said.

No one will ever enter heaven because they worked themselves there.
No one will ever be in heaven because of OSASed.

They'll be there because Jesus was the Lord of their life and they had become His disciple.

Smells like lordship salvation to me.

Mako22

BANNED
Another thread where most have no clue what they are talking about. The spiritual ignorance in this country amazes me!

rjcruiser

I never heard of OSAS or the elect growing up in a Baptist Church.

If only the SBC held to the Baptist Confession of Faith.:banginghe

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.

Refrain:

This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long;
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long.

Perfect submission, perfect delight,
Visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
Angels, descending, bring from above
Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.

Perfect submission, all is at rest,
I in my Savior am happy and blest,
Watching and waiting, looking above,
Filled with His goodness, lost in His love.

What a wonderful reminder.

When we are saved....we submit to His commands....we have assurance.

Another thread where most have no clue what they are talking about. The spiritual ignorance in this country amazes me!

Would you like to point out who you are referencing when you say "most?"

Or is this going to be another one of your typical "hit & run" random posts?

JB0704

The Original JB
You guys make this pretty complex. I find it simple. My son does not stop being my son when he does wrong. He is still my son and he gets disciplined. Now I love him and he could run away and I never see him again. He will still be my son and I will still and always love him. Now I am just a man. Imperfect. But my love for my boy is constant.

How much more so with God? He may chastise, etc. but nothing, and I mean nothing shall pluck them out of his hand.

I'm kind-of a "fence sitter" on this topic for a few reasons. For one, as you stated above, I will never stop loving my kids. The father relationship is constantly used in the Bible to describe God's view of man. How can we ever not be "his?" But, this also opens the door to wondering, then, how so many get tossed away in the end.

Plus, I was raised Baptist, so I got a few of those gremlins still runnin' around upstairs..OSAS, KJV only, women preachers, etc. I work through them cautiously.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod

"Spiritual" ignorance or "Biblical" ignorance or both?

;)

Artfuldodger

Artfuldodger

I'm kind-of a "fence sitter" on this topic for a few reasons. For one, as you stated above, I will never stop loving my kids. The father relationship is constantly used in the Bible to describe God's view of man. How can we ever not be "his?" But, this also opens the door to wondering, then, how so many get tossed away in the end. QUOTE]

I would never turn my back on my children either but since they have free will, they could turn their back on me. I would willingly take them back later on, no matter what they had done in their past. I would forgive them. I would never force them to love me.