Tungsten Super Shot

hawglips

Banned
I had ordered a 10 pack of #7s to he sent to my brother for a birthday present. Unfortunately, they got shipped to me by mistake. When I notified the company about the mistake, and suggested they refund the shipping charges to my credit card, so I can ship them to my brother myself, they replied by saying they will ship my brother a pack of 10 #7s, free of charge, since they messed up on my order and they strive for customer satisfaction!

I thought that was pretty good of them. And now it looks like I've got me some TSS #7s to pattern out of my gun...

Speaking of patterning, here's a report on the way the loads pattern and penetrate. Sounds pretty durn impressive.

Nitros may have some competition...

http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=168&osCsid=tkdi3m79r1evn4p0dp0v8f2i71

hawglips

Banned
They still have the turkey choke pattern and info there -- a 60 yard shot in a 30" circle:

http://www.tungstensupershot.com/pa...&l=7&rt=Patterns&sc=1&bri=19#anch_resourcetop

The guy at "allaboutshooting" did the testing specifically for turkeys, and it sounds pretty impressive.

I bought the shells for my brother -- because he shoots a 2 3/4" shotgun. The only concern in my mind for a 2 3/4" shotgun is that you don't use a choke tighter than .670. The site says this, "Turkey hunters can use their existing chokes. We discourage the use of chokes with exit diameters of less than .670 due to blown patterns and potential choke tube scratching."

Clark Bush says with the 1.25 oz. load of #7s in the 2 3/4" shells, he got 204-205 pellets in an 18" by 18" piece of paper. Clark Bush says that the patterns he got "were also pretty evenly distributed and actually looked like those on the TSS web site."

Getting that many pellets with with energy density out to 60 yards equal to #2 lead shot, sounds like its worth a try even in a 3" or even 3 1/2"gun. In a 2 3/4" gun, seems to me like a no-brainer.

I'm going to try them out in my Mossberg 500 before next turkey season.

hawglips

Banned
They were developed with waterfowlers in mind. The turkey pic was up there only temporarily to attract turkey hunters around turkey season.

Read the report at allaboutshooting.com. That should satisfy your concerns.

I'm planning to try them through a .670 Carlson choke, and maybe through a .660 Jellyhead.

hawglips

Banned
I'm going to try the Tungsten Super Shot on a Carlson .670 choke, and maybe a Mossberg .670, and if perhaps a Jellyhead .660. Since the factory recommends against using a choke less than .670, I may forego testing with the .660 Jellyhead.

I'll be shooting them out of a long barrel (28" Mossberg 500) against some 3" shells.

I'm planning to test them against some Nitros 4x5x7, Winchester Xtended HD #6s, Winchester Super X #4 Magnums, Winchester Super X Turkey copper plated #5s , and Federal copper plated #6s.

I may be a bit optimistic since I really hate shooting these mule-kicking loads at anything other than turkeys. I'll need to come up with some good cheek and shoulder protection.

Any suggestions will be appreciated...

$3.50 for something you could do with a 14 cent .22 cartridge? Something has gone wrong with this shotgun requirement for turkeys. :crazy:

hawglips

Banned
I patterned a .22 last year. I only got one hole in the target at 40 yards.

hawglips

Banned
I think I'll skip the Nitros tests. Can't seem to get anyone there to pick up the phone or answer emails. Is this a typical scenario for them?

hawglips

Banned

I asked the guy how who wrote this article how he felt the TSS shells stacked up against Nitros.

Here is his response:

Hey Hal,

The TSS shells were quite impressive in patterning and penetration. They weren't picky on chokes as long as the e.d. was .675. and they had exceptionally low recoil. They are about $3.50 per shell.

My recommendations are always based on performance vs. cost. If I had to choose between those 2 shells as a turkey hunting load, I'd have to choose the TSS on that basis.

Thanks,
Clark

hawglips

Banned
TSSTurkeytesttubepenetration.jpg

Gaswamp

hawglips

Banned
tss8turkeytubepenetration_lg.jpg

hawglips

Banned
TSS also did penetration tests on live mallards at 53 yards, comparing hevishot #5s to TSS #7s.

mallard_tss2_968H.jpg

mallard_HS3-1_968H.jpg

hawglips

Banned
And my own sheet metal penetration tests (all at 40 yds).

#4 plated lead at "high velocity"
Penetration8-23-08001.jpg

#7 hevishot at ~ 1200fps
1-24-09patterns006.jpg

#6 hevi-13 at 1090fps
1-24-09patterns005.jpg

#9 TSS at ~ 1100fps
1-24-09patterns004.jpg

hawglips

Banned
Here's the load I used this year for hunting, at longer yardage:

And at 50 yds
9x8 TSS, 50 yds
1-24-09patterns003.jpg

And at 60 yds:
#9x8 TSS at 60 yds
1-24-09patterns001.jpg

So, with T98s, you get better penetration and better patterns at 60 yds, than copper plated #4 lead is getting at 40 yds.

hawglips

Banned
In other words, a greater % of pellets that hit the turkey will remain in the turkey for you to chew on, if you are using #4 lead at 40 yds, instead of #9 TSS at the same range up to 20 yds further.

striper commander

I wonder where I can get some tss shot this year. If I can't get any I will be using the federal heavyweight. I got 351 pellets in a ten inch circle at 40 yards with 9&8 TSS 2oz loads last year. This year I want a load of 8's in a 3.5 inch shell.

You really think people believe what they read on these forums.....:crazy:

That stuff looks like a good duck load.