Fix bad engraving on AR lower

Pavy

Took a lower to a local engraver and the jacka** really messed it up...The good news is the engraving is only a fingernail thickness or 2 deep so this may be able to be ground out and re-blacked (this was to be a gift to my father so I'm already having a new lower laser engraved, so I don't care if a new engraving can be made on this same place).

Can anyone recommend someone who may be able to fix a bad engraving? Looking for someone in the Columbus, GA area.

arengraving.jpg

rayjay

I would think that anodized aluminum would be the absolute worst metal to attempt to cut engrave. You should have done your homework before not after.

There is a guy that specializes in reanodizing AR parts. Victor iirc is the guy's name. AR15.com can probably get you hooked up.

Swede

Or, will it take a color? Fill it in?

Pavy

Since this was to be a gift for my dad, I'm having another one done "right" (it actually looks worse in person...sloppy lines...looks like a 3 yr old's coloring book) I'm going to keep this one for myself so hoping it will be able to "buff out."

miles58

Banned yankee
I would think that anodized aluminum would be the absolute worst metal to attempt to cut engrave. You should have done your homework before not after.

There is a guy that specializes in reanodizing AR parts. Victor iirc is the guy's name. AR15.com can probably get you hooked up.

I would think it's the responsibility of the engraver to know what he can and cannot do, not the person seeking to have the work done. Castigating Pavy seems like dumping on someone whose just been dumped on.

Dave

ASH556

Boar Hog

Pavy is not at fault here, the engraver should pay for the piece to be repaired or replaced. You wouldn't be to blame if you were served a bad meal at a restaurant would you? :flag:

miles58

Banned yankee
If you dont ask if its any good beforehand you are.

When it comes out nearly unrecognizable, comparably bad to the engraving the OP received I would say not. That's be like ordering a pork chop and getting something like cold day old liver.

Dave

rayjay

That's be like ordering a pork chop and getting something like cold day old liver.

Dave

No, it would be like ordering pork chop and then demanding something else because you hate pork chop.

I want to tell you people something that will obviously amaze you . Professionalism in this country is dying out. Yes there are plenty of people doing awesome work in this country but they are far outnumbered by hacks. If you expect everybody that hangs out a shingle to do work to the highest standards you are going to spend your whole life suffering let downs like the OP has experienced with his hacked up lower.

There are threads regularly posted on this site by people that have suffered at the hands of hack gunsmiths, engravers, carpenters, mechanics, etc etc etc. These aren't isolated instances, they are the norm. You have to do some real searching to find the pros and they probably won't be local unless you are just very lucky.

miles58

Banned yankee
No, it would be like ordering pork chop and then demanding something else because you hate pork chop.

I want to tell you people something that will obviously amaze you . Professionalism in this country is dying out. Yes there are plenty of people doing awesome work in this country but they are far outnumbered by hacks. If you expect everybody that hangs out a shingle to do work to the highest standards you are going to spend your whole life suffering let downs like the OP has experienced with his hacked up lower.

There are threads regularly posted on this site by people that have suffered at the hands of hack gunsmiths, engravers, carpenters, mechanics, etc etc etc. These aren't isolated instances, they are the norm. You have to do some real searching to find the pros and they probably won't be local unless you are just very lucky.

With logic like that I can see you being disappointed often.

Dave

SmokyMtnSmoke

Possible solution: Clean surface with brake cleaner to remove all oils, skim coat it with JB Weld then sand until smooth then Duracoat the lower. Keep it as a good shooter.

Paddle

Who did it?

Flaustin1

With logic like that I can see you being disappointed often.

Dave

Dude really? The mods are probably going to throw me off for this, but have you ever noticed you go against the grain of everybodys opinion. With logic like yours, no wonder that professionalism is dwindling in this country. Would you have your roof done without checking the roofers crudentials first. You always ask for references and examples of someones work before you have it done. Atleast i do anyway.

miles58

Banned yankee
Dude really? The mods are probably going to throw me off for this, but have you ever noticed you go against the grain of everybodys opinion. With logic like yours, no wonder that professionalism is dwindling in this country. Would you have your roof done without checking the roofers crudentials first. You always ask for references and examples of someones work before you have it done. Atleast i do anyway.

OK. First explain to me how demanding a vendor provide what he agrees to provide is cause for professionalism in this country to dwindle. Under the law in this state, and most others, if a vendor agrees to provide a service when it is as thoroughly botched at the example provided by the OP the vendor in this case would be liable for replacement of the whole rifle if the OP decided to take it to court unless the OP provided a pattern as unrecognizable as the outcome.

I have been there. I gave an incompetent gunsmith a shotgun to install choke tubes and he mangled the job. He also wound up buying the shotgun, and he didn't have a prayer of contesting that. I would be willing to bet a whole lot of money that the OP is in every bit as good a legal position. Idiots who castigate him for not finding out the engraver was not up to the job are maybe why they remain in business. If the OP holds the engraver accountable for the mess and the engraver winds up replacing the rifle maybe that will go further to solving the problem.

I have had hundreds of pieces of anodized aluminum engraved back in the early 70s, and I can tell you from personal experience that it is simple to engrave and it comes out beautifully. If Bubba does the job with a vibratory "engraver" (which the OP's picture almost looks like) then that's a whole other proposition entirely.

You've got the ball do something intelligent with it. You are presented the opportunity to show me and everyone else just how messed up my logic is, but please don't go flying off the handle and peeing down your leg if you are wrong. Just stand up, be a man and and admit you took offense to someone disagreeing with you when you where out of line.

Dave

Dub

I would think it's the responsibility of the engraver to know what he can and cannot do, not the person seeking to have the work done. Castigating Pavy seems like dumping on someone whose just been dumped on.

Dave

Well said. :cheers:

Flaustin1

Answer my question. Would you have a roofer roof your home without checking his crudentials. Do you think GE would hire a sub contractor to build their turbines without checking crudentials? (answer is no.) I do agree that the engraver should stand behind his work but it is also your responsibility as a consumer to do your homework and make sure the person you contract to do a job is competant. They're are scumbag wanna be everythings out there these days. You have to do your homework! To each his own, Im not going to argue with you simply because i love this forum and dont want to lose the priveledge of being part of it. Are you union?

Flaustin1

Well said. :cheers:

What if. . . just what if, the engraver thought he did a wonderful job? Just goes to show you that you have to make sure the person performing the work can perform it on a level that is acceptable to you.

miles58

Banned yankee
Answer my question. Would you have a roofer roof your home without checking his crudentials.

I would and I have.

Do you think GE would hire a sub contractor to build their turbines without checking crudentials? (answer is no.) I do agree that the engraver should stand behind his work but it is also your responsibility as a consumer to do your homework and make sure the person you contract to do a job is competant.

I think I would bet there are a lot of vendors to GE that are not researched, and further that GE has a receiving inspection department not different in principle than Pavy used in his case.

They're are scumbag wanna be everythings out there these days. You have to do your homework! To each his own, Im not going to argue with you simply because i love this forum and dont want to lose the priveledge of being part of it. Are you union?

No, I am not now nor have I ever been a union member.

I, like probably a majority of members on this forum daily do ask for a recommendation for someone to do work when I do not know who to ask. I also expect that on occasion I will get a bad recommendation like the gunsmith who messed up one of my favorite O/U guns. I am also old enough and wise enough to understand that it just might be my job that an otherwise competent person messes up, and that no matter how gold plated the recommendation the same results can happen.

I have owned my own business for the last 32 years and understand what the law requires of me in terms of standing behind my obligations.

I have answered your question. Your turn now. "First explain to me how demanding a vendor provide what he agrees to provide is cause for professionalism in this country to dwindle."

Dave