GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Birds, Birds and More Birds > Turkey Talk


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 04-26-2017, 05:14 PM
DRBugman85's Avatar
DRBugman85 DRBugman85 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Georgia
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

VANISHED. ...The ART of calling a gobbler to me,I,with a call that is man made,wood,glass,slate,wingbone are turtle shell and a stick.That is the art and it was past to me from a true master my GRANFATHER who was taught by his father.The love of fooling Mother Nature's theme of things.And the accomplishment of doing it WITH OUT A decoy are blind (should be outlawed) that is the art of turkey hunting for ME.Being a woodsman that is aware of his surroundings from experiencing GOD'S great outdoors.And my Forest moment(That's all I got to say about that).
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 04-26-2017, 05:55 PM
XIronheadX's Avatar
XIronheadX XIronheadX is offline
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: The woods
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
First off, I don`t care how folks hunt turkeys, and won`t ever say a word about any method of hunting them, as long as it`s legal.

Now a question or two.

When was the art of turkey hunting established? Can anybody here give the year it was established? And if so, what are the parameters?

Who are we to say what is right or wrong when it comes to hunting these birds?
All I know is with decoys and fans, you are no longer hunting turkeys. They are hunting you. The art was established by those before us. Pick a date before 1990. There was no mention of decoys back then. Not in any of the articles in the publications I read. Not from the 80 yr old man from 30 yrs ago that told me how they did it in West Virginia. Or anyone else I spoke to about turkey hunting. The parameters are to lure them in by sound. Not visually, not by stalking, or deer hunting them from blinds. It's the same reason we don't shoot deer at night(although corn made its way in). When restocking, limits and license were required, it became an art. It wasn't survival for food anymore. It became a sport. And the sporting chance doesn't include visually fooling a turkey. However you want to bend the rules this day and time to be legal is how it got to this. Little Billy couldn't hit a baseball so they gave him a tee and a participation trophy.
__________________
I turned my face more exclusively than ever toward the woods, where I was better known ~ Henry David Thoreau
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 04-26-2017, 06:38 PM
DRBugman85's Avatar
DRBugman85 DRBugman85 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Georgia
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIronheadX View Post
All I know is with decoys and fans, you are no longer hunting turkeys. They are hunting you. The art was established by those before us. Pick a date before 1990. There was no mention of decoys back then. Not in any of the articles in the publications I read. Not from the 80 yr old man from 30 yrs ago that told me how they did it in West Virginia. Or anyone else I spoke to about turkey hunting. The parameters are to lure them in by sound. Not visually, not by stalking, or deer hunting them from blinds. It's the same reason we don't shoot deer at night(although corn made its way in). When restocking, limits and license were required, it became an art. It wasn't survival for food anymore. It became a sport. And the sporting chance doesn't include visually fooling a turkey. However you want to bend the rules this day and time to be legal is how it got to this. Little Billy couldn't hit a baseball so they gave him a tee and a participation trophy.
THANK YOU SIR.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 04-26-2017, 06:40 PM
Miguel Cervantes's Avatar
Miguel Cervantes Miguel Cervantes is offline
GON Severe Weatherman
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Between Bethlehem, Loganville & Monroe
iTrader: (8) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDucker View Post
I can't believe all this bashing of the fan. The man who pulls the trigger is charged with the responsibility to insure what and where he is shooting. The older brother who shot them is at fault, regardless of any techniques they use short of dressing up in a turkey suit and dancing around.
^^^Yep^^^
__________________
Don't draw fire. It irritates the people around you.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 04-26-2017, 07:18 PM
Nicodemus's Avatar
Nicodemus Nicodemus is offline
FREELANCE ADMINISTRATOR
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: GOD`S Country, Southwest Georgia
iTrader: (10) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRBugman85 View Post
VANISHED. ...The ART of calling a gobbler to me,I,with a call that is man made,wood,glass,slate,wingbone are turtle shell and a stick.That is the art and it was past to me from a true master my GRANFATHER who was taught by his father.The love of fooling Mother Nature's theme of things.And the accomplishment of doing it WITH OUT A decoy are blind (should be outlawed) that is the art of turkey hunting for ME.Being a woodsman that is aware of his surroundings from experiencing GOD'S great outdoors.And my Forest moment(That's all I got to say about that).

I consider myself a little bit of a woodsman myself.


Quote:
Originally Posted by XIronheadX View Post
All I know is with decoys and fans, you are no longer hunting turkeys. They are hunting you. The art was established by those before us. Pick a date before 1990. There was no mention of decoys back then. Not in any of the articles in the publications I read. Not from the 80 yr old man from 30 yrs ago that told me how they did it in West Virginia. Or anyone else I spoke to about turkey hunting. The parameters are to lure them in by sound. Not visually, not by stalking, or deer hunting them from blinds. It's the same reason we don't shoot deer at night(although corn made its way in). When restocking, limits and license were required, it became an art. It wasn't survival for food anymore. It became a sport. And the sporting chance doesn't include visually fooling a turkey. However you want to bend the rules this day and time to be legal is how it got to this. Little Billy couldn't hit a baseball so they gave him a tee and a participation trophy.

Actually, when you start yelping at a turkey, he starts hunting you then too.

I`ve never used a decoy, never fanned one, never used a "tent" to hide in, and won`t ever. I hunt the old way myself.

Excuse me, I did have to change my style, because when I was taught to turkey hunt, it was when Georgia had a fall season. We didn`t have a spring season in those days.



I`ll also not judge or bash others how they hunt, as long as it`s legal.
__________________
A single shot rifle and the memory of a 3 toe`d dog.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 04-26-2017, 07:43 PM
XIronheadX's Avatar
XIronheadX XIronheadX is offline
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: The woods
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
I consider myself a little bit of a woodsman myself.





Actually, when you start yelping at a turkey, he starts hunting you then too.

I`ve never used a decoy, never fanned one, never used a "tent" to hide in, and won`t ever. I hunt the old way myself.

Excuse me, I did have to change my style, because when I was taught to turkey hunt, it was when Georgia had a fall season. We didn`t have a spring season in those days.



I`ll also not judge or bash others how they hunt, as long as it`s legal.
I'm not bashing, Nic. When a turkey see's a turkey, fan or decoy, nothing has to occur. Hunt is removed from the equation. Yeah, it's legal. That's why someone got shot. And yes, you appear to be a great woodsman. That's why I thought you'd stand up for what we know is right, legal or not. You don't fan or deke either. What's that song? You gotta stand for something or you'll fall for anything? I'm waiting on one of those remote control Mojo strutters to come by about 30 mph. And I'll end my discussion of this here. It's like politics lol.
__________________
I turned my face more exclusively than ever toward the woods, where I was better known ~ Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by XIronheadX; 04-26-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 04-27-2017, 01:29 AM
kmckinnie's Avatar
kmckinnie kmckinnie is offline
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Quitman Co. Ga.
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

I know right. ^^
__________________
Howdy!!
I'm the VP of the useles Billy Club....
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 04-27-2017, 06:47 AM
Miguel Cervantes's Avatar
Miguel Cervantes Miguel Cervantes is offline
GON Severe Weatherman
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Between Bethlehem, Loganville & Monroe
iTrader: (8) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIronheadX View Post
I'm not bashing, Nic. When a turkey see's a turkey, fan or decoy, nothing has to occur. Hunt is removed from the equation. Yeah, it's legal. That's why someone got shot.
That is incorrectomundo.

Someone got shot because an idiot didn't properly identify his target prior to pulling the trigger. That is the only reason they got shot. Hunting methods have absolutely nothing to do with this incident.
__________________
Don't draw fire. It irritates the people around you.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 04-27-2017, 07:27 AM
antharper's Avatar
antharper antharper is offline
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lagrange,ga
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

I know right !!!! Key word (Idiot)
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 04-27-2017, 11:01 AM
XIronheadX's Avatar
XIronheadX XIronheadX is offline
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: The woods
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Cervantes View Post
That is incorrectomundo.

Someone got shot because an idiot didn't properly identify his target prior to pulling the trigger. That is the only reason they got shot. Hunting methods have absolutely nothing to do with this incident.
Always the case. Not crawling around with a fan, no discussion. You walk around hiding behind a deer decoy? I think not. Exactly what I was talking about bending the rules. If it suits someone, lets do it! Idiots are going to exist from now on. That's why blaze orange exists. Correctomundo! Anytime you visually appear to be the animal being hunted, you will attract idiots.
__________________
I turned my face more exclusively than ever toward the woods, where I was better known ~ Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by XIronheadX; 04-27-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 04-27-2017, 06:20 PM
GLS's Avatar
GLS GLS is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lowcountry, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

I remember decoys back in the early 1980's. They were made of styrofoam. Gil
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 04-27-2017, 06:30 PM
GLS's Avatar
GLS GLS is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lowcountry, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

There was a post in this thread or elsewhere where the poster opined that back when, every effort was made not to wear red, blue or white to minimize the idiot effect of someone misidentifying the colors as a male turkey. It's like defensive driving. You don't assume or rely on someone not under one's control to obey the law or rules of the road. You protect yourself with a few simple rules. Sit against a big tree with clear vision in front; if you see someone in the woods, speak in a loud voice. Don't signal by waving or making a yelp. Fanning turkeys is lowering the safety bar and hoping someone won't mistake the turkey fan for a turkey. It's leading with one's chin. It increases the likelihood of someone making a mistake. Apparently no one can say that no one has been hurt as a result of fanning because the linked article cites a fatality three years ago. If legal equals ethical would the same be said if it were legal to shoot a turkey from a truck window or turkeys coming to a corn pile? Gil
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 04-27-2017, 07:28 PM
Steve Roberts's Avatar
Steve Roberts Steve Roberts is offline
Join Date: May 2005
Location: North Georgia
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Man just think if some hunters fought the anti-hunter's like they do other hunter's instead of trying to make them self look like the great white hunter while bashing others!!! Hunter's biggest enemy other hunters!!! Go do something productive that is right with your time instead of what you think is right!!!
__________________
"If you say you have never missed a turkey, then there's a darn good chance you have never shot at many"- Ben Rodgers Lee
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 04-27-2017, 07:34 PM
GLS's Avatar
GLS GLS is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lowcountry, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
Man just think if some hunters fought the anti-hunter's like they do other hunter's instead of trying to make them self look like the great white hunter while bashing others!!! Hunter's biggest enemy other hunters!!! Go do something productive that is right with your time instead of what you think is right!!!
You might re-think what you just said because I can think of a lot of groups more harmful to hunter's rights than other hunters. Gil
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 04-27-2017, 07:44 PM
Steve Roberts's Avatar
Steve Roberts Steve Roberts is offline
Join Date: May 2005
Location: North Georgia
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
You might re-think what you just said because I can think of a lot of groups more harmful to hunter's rights than other hunters. Gil
The reason other groups are so strong, and hunters are so weak is because, instead of sticking together as hunters they bash each other because they don't hunt the way they do, shoot the kind of gun they do, they hunt with a crossbow and I don't. It's never ending, and the other groups see that, and have a field day with it!!! Some hunters can't see the forest for the trees!!! Steve
__________________
"If you say you have never missed a turkey, then there's a darn good chance you have never shot at many"- Ben Rodgers Lee
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 04-27-2017, 08:12 PM
Steve Roberts's Avatar
Steve Roberts Steve Roberts is offline
Join Date: May 2005
Location: North Georgia
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

I wonder how many turkey hunter's die in vehicle accidents in a year going to, and from hunting areas? Then compare that to hunter's being killed in a year while fanning!!! Bet nobody would want to give up their vehicle!!!
__________________
"If you say you have never missed a turkey, then there's a darn good chance you have never shot at many"- Ben Rodgers Lee
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 04-27-2017, 08:22 PM
GLS's Avatar
GLS GLS is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lowcountry, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Steve,
Do you really think hunters as a group are weak in Georgia?
Be specific as to when anti-hunting groups have seized on hunters being critical of other hunters and as a result that the anti-hunters won a victory or had a law changed because of hunters being critical of other hunters.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 04-27-2017, 10:27 PM
Steve Roberts's Avatar
Steve Roberts Steve Roberts is offline
Join Date: May 2005
Location: North Georgia
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

I'm not just talking about Georgia, but hunter's as a whole. It's sad that we are not united all the time, only when someone is stepping on our toes. They would rather give some one a hard time about the way the hunt, what kind of weapon the use, if they use a blind or decoy. When I was a young boy in the late 60's dang good turkey hunters use to go out and build ground blinds, and that was the way everyone hunted turkeys back in the day! I bet if they would have had tent blinds back then they would have used them!!! Back then they would have said someone running and gunning all over the place cutting, and cackling was no turkey hunter!!! I don't use blinds, or decoys when hunting by myself, but I do when I hunt with my wife, and grandkids. Now my wife is starting to see it's just to much stuff to tote!!! My thing is get them hooked on turkey hunting, then I will make a hunter out of them. Opinions vary, but if someone not holding a gun to my head, and making me hunt a certain way then if you are legal hunt the way you want to, and I'll hunt like I want too!!! Remember if we hunt we are all hunters, and if you don't like the way someone hunts don't hunt that way, and leave them alone!!! Steve
__________________
"If you say you have never missed a turkey, then there's a darn good chance you have never shot at many"- Ben Rodgers Lee
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 04-28-2017, 06:30 AM
DRBugman85's Avatar
DRBugman85 DRBugman85 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Georgia
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

VANISHED. GONE. NEVER TO RETURN. Participation trophies to everyone.Back in the 60's they did not have the money They worked to raise they family not to buy decoys, blinds and had paper shotgun shells that could not shoot a gobbler at 60 yards and 1shotgun that was used to hunt everything. VANISHED.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 04-28-2017, 06:37 AM
Miguel Cervantes's Avatar
Miguel Cervantes Miguel Cervantes is offline
GON Severe Weatherman
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Between Bethlehem, Loganville & Monroe
iTrader: (8) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRBugman85 View Post
VANISHED. GONE. NEVER TO RETURN. Participation trophies to everyone.Back in the 60's they did not have the money They worked to raise they family not to buy decoys, blinds and had paper shotgun shells that could not shoot a gobbler at 60 yards and 1shotgun that was used to hunt everything. VANISHED.
In the 60's common sense reigned supreme and popping a turkey in the head with a .22 long rifle was legal. This mandated that you identify your target right down to seeing the blacks of his eyes before you pulled the trigger.

Now the laws have changed to protect us from ourselves because commons sense is commodity that can't even be purchased at Wal-Mart. Heck Mossy Oak doesn't even make a marketable version.
__________________
Don't draw fire. It irritates the people around you.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 04-28-2017, 11:22 PM
Steve Roberts's Avatar
Steve Roberts Steve Roberts is offline
Join Date: May 2005
Location: North Georgia
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Cervantes View Post
In the 60's common sense reigned supreme and popping a turkey in the head with a .22 long rifle was legal. This mandated that you identify your target right down to seeing the blacks of his eyes before you pulled the trigger.

Now the laws have changed to protect us from ourselves because commons sense is commodity that can't even be purchased at Wal-Mart. Heck Mossy Oak doesn't even make a marketable version.
Common sense reigned supreme in the 60's!!! Tell that to my dads friend who's son had the third button on his flannel shirt blew through his chest by another deer hunter with a 30-06!! God bless him, and his family he is no longer with us. Turkey hunters use centerfire rifles to kill turkeys legally back then also. Man I was around back then too, and have heard the stories!!! Like I said some hunters can't see the forest for the trees!!! 60's Free Love, and that group of people common sense was in!!!
__________________
"If you say you have never missed a turkey, then there's a darn good chance you have never shot at many"- Ben Rodgers Lee
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 Georgia Outdoor News, Inc.Ad Management by RedTyger