cost to build a house

1gr8bldr

I have built many brick homes, granite, hardwood, porches, well, septic, etc, in other words, no corners cut, for $68 per ft under roof on your lot. My charge included. But I am in a different location/state

ATLGA

I know this is an old thread but has anyone built a house in North GA recently? I would like to hear of their experiences.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
North GA is a large area. Can you narrow down the general area? Karen a Billy thread regular is currently building near Ellijay

GoldDot40

Our house is 7 months old. Final cost was right at $81/sq ft. I'm in Madison County.

tdw3684

I know the OP was looking for brick. I will suggest checking out Blue Ridge Log Cabins in Campobello SC. They will give a price down to the penny. Cool way to build a home too.

Are these prices with "turn-key" built homes (ie, you decide on plans and then everything is built for you)? Or are you hiring electricians, builders, etc yourself separately?

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I am wondering what the average cost per square foot is to build (or have one built) a brick ranch house on a basement right now. I would really like to know what the materials cost alone and also what you could expect to pay to have it built.

Can anybody tell me those numbers?

Thank you,

Too many variables for this type of question.

Typical 2x4 outer walls or extra insulated 2x6 outer walls

8 foot ceilings or 10 foot or more ceilings, flat, vaulted, tray ceilings.

Trim package makes a huge difference as well.

Prefab tubs / showers etc. or custom tiled.

Prefab cabinets or custom built. Laminate tops, solid surface tops or granite?

Lighting package will break you if you aren't careful also.

Hardwoods throughout or carpet, or a mix of the two.

Spec your basement 10ft tall, you'll thank me later when you go to finish it out.

Roof pitch factors into the equation as well as number of gables, gambrell style roof etc.

Can you provide a little more detail as to what your looking for? Do you have a plan picked out already?

Jim Baker

Staff member
Too many variables for this type of question.

Typical 2x4 outer walls or extra insulated 2x6 outer walls

8 foot ceilings or 10 foot or more ceilings, flat, vaulted, tray ceilings.

Trim package makes a huge difference as well.

Prefab tubs / showers etc. or custom tiled.

Prefab cabinets or custom built. Laminate tops, solid surface tops or granite?

Lighting package will break you if you aren't careful also.

Hardwoods throughout or carpet, or a mix of the two.

Spec your basement 10ft tall, you'll thank me later when you go to finish it out.

Roof pitch factors into the equation as well as number of gables, gambrell style roof etc.

Can you provide a little more detail as to what your looking for? Do you have a plan picked out already?

Needs to find a floor plan he likes, answer all your questions. Visit the flooring store, lighting store, Plumbing showroom, etc to see what he wants and costs.

Get it all down on paper then approach some builders for a price and then add at least 10%

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Needs to find a floor plan he likes, answer all your questions. Visit the flooring store, lighting store, Plumbing showroom, etc to see what he wants and costs.

Get it all down on paper then approach some builders for a price and then add at least 10%

If there is a wife involved add 20% and then 1/2 way through the project add another 10%. No joke. ;)

I said "at least 10%"

Last edited by a moderator:

Georgiadawgs78

I've been hearing builders cost on slab houses in the low to mid 70's. These are hardy siding with little to no rock accents and with granite countertops, hardwood floors in den/kitchen and carpet in the bedrooms. These guys are also building 4-5 at time in a row and 40-50 a year.

biggdogg

Interesting subject for sure, but I'm gonna assume the OP has either built what he wanted or has settled on another option by now...

karen936

Head Researcher, McDurdellson Enterprises, Inc.
I am building in blue ridge and the cost is really high cost plus
15% my builder charges so far we are over budget, concrete costs are up and so are wood cost. It's a small town and not much competition so my budget went out the window. Good luck
get everything in writing.

skiff23

If you build a custom house and the builder is not building the same plan over and over it cost more that the fast paced flats builds that are generally cheap. Homes built in neighborhoods and plans that are used multiple times are easier for the same crews to build and they have the material list down to the count. And for what I have seen in the past most of those homes are built cheap . Custom home prices differ slightly in different areas. Right now a typical home with 9 ft ceilings cement fiber siding with decent but not high end interiors is running about $ 100 per square ft. When big roof lines and long spans of open rooms go in a home, price goes up. Fancier finishes cost more. I can build down to $ 85 but it is a no frills home. I will not build junk either . At the moment I am spray foaming for insulation and using a good quality cabinets. Cabinets will affect your bottom dollar. Remember you get what you pay for . as long as you don't have a crook building for you and there are some out there. And there are some like me , honest and doing what I am supposed to .

westcobbdog

Most houses I deal with avg $100-$200 per sf

Looking at a bad appraisal tonight on one of my listings and the comps the appraiser used were valued at$136, $152 and $170 per sf

1gr8bldr

Is this turn key ? and did you do any of the work yourself?
I see this as possible, but very tight, however, smaller homes go higher relative to larger. The reason is that they usually still have the same amount of appliances, cabinets, toilets, etc.

GoldDot40

Is this turn key ? and did you do any of the work yourself?

Was indeed turn key. I did none of it myself. Keep in mind...it is a spec house the builder already had the plans for. I did watch the entire build closely. Just a couple of head scratching moments, but all were corrected before the final walk through. Punch list was pretty small and simple. Had a private inspector check it out BEFORE we went to closing. Passed with flying colors.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
I just finished mine. 1940 sq ft 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bath 2 story crawlspace home. I foamed the entire house, I have a Standing seam metal roof, granite on all counters, custom cabinets throughout and very nice hardwood and tile in the entire house. did mine for $91 per sq ft but I did ALOT of the work myself. I wired and plumbed my house. I have a lot of nicer finishes throughout but I bought them and installed them myself. My standing seam roof was the most expensive thing at 16K. But, it's what I wanted.