Ravin Users - tell us your thoughts... good and bad!

The Arrow Guru

There is a bow that will be introduced next week that will be worth looking at before a purchase of a Ravin. Imagine the sheer 4 wheel drive durability of an Excalibur with the added feature of an internal crank that is totally silent. No more sounding like a boat wench while in the woods. Fully adjustable stock so that the smallest to the biggest person can shoot it comfortably. The ability to take the front end off and it fitting in a case about the size of a O/U shotgun case with the zero not changing when put back together. Any cross bow that is designed and built well will shoot 100 yards accurately. Just saying, it will be worth consideration!

bacon6

What would be the name of that bow so we know what to look for, thanks

Jim Boyd

Arrow - the bow will still be wide, though - correct?

Rarely, from a technology standpoint, does the genie go back in the bottle.

If the Ravin stays as hot as it is right now, I see most companies trying to adopt similar technologies.

Reports on the mentioned bow would be great!

The Arrow Guru

What would be the name of that bow so we know what to look for, thanks

The bow is called the Assassin

Arrow - the bow will still be wide, though - correct?

It is built on the "Micro" frame so it's 20" wide which is on par with most of the compound cross bows on the market.

Rarely, from a technology standpoint, does the genie go back in the bottle.

If the Ravin stays as hot as it is right now, I see most companies trying to adopt similar technologies.

This industry has always been a copy cat industry.
I'm sure there will be companies that build things to compete with the Ravin. Keep in mind that not everything has been positive with the Ravin. There is a government recall in Canada on the trigger and they have a recall on their nock. Reports have been negative on Ravin's customer service. With any new platform there will be problems once the product is in production and they go into the market and start being used. The benefit to the new Excal is you have some of the tech that people like in the newer cross bows but it's on a bow that is truly the 4WD of the cross bow industry and product that you can change the string in the field. Because we all know you aren't going to nick your string with a broadhead at 2PM on a Tuesday when you can go to your local shop and get it fixed,
it's going to happen at 5:30 AM on a Saturday!

Reports on the mentioned bow would be great!

As soon as I get back from the ATA show, I will post some videos for you guys on here and give you a look at it.

The Arrow Guru

sneak peek

here is the best picture we have out right now

Attachments

• 26172967_1798809513503105_3062278416593454031_o.jpg
    26172967_1798809513503105_3062278416593454031_o.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 532

Jim Boyd

I will keep watching!

No insult but it sounds like you have a vested interest in the bow you are talking about.

Nothing wrong with that and Excalibur has a grea and loyal following.

The lack of width of the Ravin intrigued me.

I already have a 2017 Parker at 380 FPS — I really don’t see buying another wide bow.

Parker’s are built like a tank and they have good customer service.

Appreciate info on any and all new technology bow.

The Arrow Guru

I will keep watching!

No insult but it sounds like you have a vested interest in the bow you are talking about.

Nothing wrong with that and Excalibur has a grea and loyal following.

The lack of width of the Ravin intrigued me.

I already have a 2017 Parker at 380 FPS — I really don’t see buying another wide bow.

Parker’s are built like a tank and they have good customer service.

Appreciate info on any and all new technology bow.

Yeah, I am the regional sales manager for Bowtech / Excalibur, so I am definitely biased. :bounce:

BowanaLee

I don't have a car in this race, I've never even held a raven. Most people wouldn't believe the difference a spine indexed, spine sorted, weight sorted, top grade xbow arrow makes.
It'll turn a fair grouping xbow into a long range killer. Even an Excalibur. ::ke: :bounce:

The Arrow Guru

I don't have a car in this race, I've never even held a raven. Most people wouldn't believe the difference a spine indexed, spine sorted, weight sorted, top grade xbow arrow makes.
It'll turn a fair grouping xbow into a long range killer. Even an Excalibur. ::ke: :bounce:

Absolutely Lee, most every cross bow that is well made will be very accurate, but you can take it to the next level spending a little time and money on your arrows.

bacon6

Just saw where the 2018’s are out ! Now have a R10 (400fps) and R20 (430fps) plus a “sniper” version of the R20

oppthepop

Guys i'm about to pull the trigger most likely on a Barnett Ghost 420. Any input is appreciated!

The Arrow Guru

Would you tell us fellow xbow shooters how do you pick the perfect arrow

As bad as it might sound, generally speaking stock arrows that are included with a cross bow are lower end arrows. Companies can not afford to put premium arrows in these packages. This puts you at a disadvantage if the cross bow you are looking at needs special arrows.

However the 1st thing to do it find some premium cross bow arrows like the Black Eagle Executioners as well as some that are made by Gold Tip and Easton. For my Stryker 360 I used the Black Eagles with brass inserts and used the Parker Capture nock. Then, I take each arrow and number them and shoot them through paper. Yes, I shoot my cross bow through paper. But instead of doing it to "tine" the cross bow, I am doing it to ensure that all of my arrows are reacting the same out of the bow. Most of the time they shoot a bullet hole, but if they do not, I turn the nock to the next vane and shoot it again. I get all of the arrows I plan to shoot shooting a bullet hole. This might eliminate some arrows from being acceptable. Then I go to the range.

I make sure that my bow is sighted in and generally do this with one arrow. Then I shoot all my arrows at the maximum distance I would shoot an animal. Which I say is 60 yards but the truth is, I don't think I would shoot at a deer past 40. However I finish at 60 yards. Shoot all my arrows several times and make sure they all hit exactly the same. This may also cause you to cull an arrow or two that just won't behave.

For my Excalibur I have only played with the Quill arrows. They are 16.5" and pretty short. This summer I plan on 1. Cutting some Executioners down and testing them and 2. Using the Executioners at full length and testing them. Using a longer arrow in an excalibur is fine, the only problem is it puts the point of the arrow out past the sturip. I son't think this is unsafe by any means but there is something to be said for the broad head to be "protected" and inside the bow.

All of the time I have spent in the cross bow industry and knowing what I know, if I were walking into a shop to pay retail for a cross bow, there is no doubt in my mind that it would be an excalibur.

Oh and Lee, we have a new external crank that is made on a one way bearing and is totally silent. No more sounding like a boat crank when you cock your bow!

Jim Boyd

Great info, Guru - I definitely have some of the arrow issues you describe.

I have just kept shooting til I found 5-6 that shot well and kept them on hand.

I shoot practice Rage or Montec heads and never shoot field points. Always shoot Lumenocks also.

My practice arrows are exact replicas of what I hunt with.

I shoot to 60 with my 380 FPS Parker but want the deer at 35 yards or less.

Have shot 7-8 in the last 4 years and the furthest was 30 yards.

Again, appreciate it.

BowanaLee

Would you tell us fellow xbow shooters how do you pick the perfect arrow
Unless you have the equipment, you cant make or pick one. To spine index one about all you can do is turn the nock to the next vane and try it. Spine indexing and sorting is done on a spine tester. I use the ram spine tester. You can order them from custom arrow builders though. Jerry at South Shore Archery is a good start. Before I purchased a spine tester I got a dozen from him. Worked great. You'll get a lot less fliers per dozen from a custom builder. They'll cost more though.

Attachments

• ram spine tester CQC-2.jpg
    ram spine tester CQC-2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 139

DEERFU

I have been shooting the Parker Thunderhawk for a few years and have been well pleased with it. Decided to take the leap to recurve when I got a heck of a deal on the Excalibur Matrix 360 (I absolutely love it). I haven't held the Ravin but after struggling to get string work in a timely manner I'm gonna stick to the recurve for now. That new Assassin is sweet! Hope I can fit it in my budget next year. Btw- I'm gonna keep my others just for fun shooting and helping get the grandkids started.

Jim Boyd

I am staying with my 380 FPS Parker until I can afford something very high end, like one of the Ravins.... or some other technically advanced bow.