Crawfish basket//Trap.

TurkeyProof

Is it legal to trap crayfish in a basket or trap in Ga? I have looked at the DNR site and could not figure it out.:huh:

GT 150

This will be interesting, I hear next year Tenn will outlaw the sale of Crayfish, but its ok to catch your own for bait.........

trickworm

youtube has some good trap directions . I made one last year and got forty the first try . used chicken neck as bait

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
I know this is an old post, but according to the DNR it is legal to take crawfish with about any method you can take them. Crawfish in Ga. are not protected unless they are one of the numerous protected species. The best one for eating (at least in my opinion) is the red swamp crawfish which is not a native in Georgia and is considered invasive so not only can you take them with traps, the DNR wants you to get rid of them.

Judge

Is it legal to trap crayfish in a basket or trap in Ga? I have looked at the DNR site and could not figure it out.:huh:

I hear rumors about people catching crawfish and baiting holes at Lake Seminole. Only to return on Saturday during a t'ment and fool the fattened and unsuspecting fish. Has anyone else ever heard of such?? :stir: :stir:

Made a trap tonight out of two 2 liter bottles. Gonna try and catch some dinner for these finicky bass! If this works well I'll try making a heavy duty trap.

big_bird

i have done the same thing with ca 2 liter coke bottle. i have caught tons of them that way. great bait for cats and hybrids and carp and dogs and humans!! just a great bait.

Alan in GA

2 liter bottles,...yes..and...

I made traps out of 2 liter cola bottles, too. Put them in a creek behind our old house in Paulding County. Face them downstream with bait in them [forgot what]. We would find them with crawfish, minnows, and water snakes in them. The snakes would be dead because there was no air in them and they had no way to get to the surface because we weighted the traps with rocks.
3 liter bottles were probably a better trap but I don't see those anymore.
PS-folks are suprised when I tell them that I hunted squirrel, rabbit, and deer in Paulding starting in the late 1960s. I don't remember seeing a creek WITHOUT a mash pot carved into the shoreline. All had axe marks in them. Some still had partial wood coverings.
I wonder what it was like 'back then'?
Back then even Cedarcrest road was dirt, and you did not want to drive on it anywhere near a day or 3 after a rainstorm! MUDDY!

Jranger

I hear rumors about people catching crawfish and baiting holes at Lake Seminole. Only to return on Saturday during a t'ment and fool the fattened and unsuspecting fish. Has anyone else ever heard of such?? :stir: :stir:

Yeah, I've heard rumors of that as well.

BowArrow

Wal-Mart sells a minnow trap that makes an excellent crawfish trap. It has a funnel on both ends and the wire is coated.

dphillipx

how exactly would you place the trap?? say i used the minnow trap from walmart...and baited it with chicken necks...would i weigh it down? also how would you know a good spot to place the trap?

bobcat

Judge I have also heard this rumor from 3 different towns and individuals that dont know eachother and it was about the same person !!!!!!!!!!!

badkarma

I read a story about one guy who had a pvc pipe with a small hole in the bottom for critters to escape one at a time. he had the pipe coming up just below the surface and would come by every few days and refill it with crawdads. Some even make cages out of chicken wire and fill it full of crawdads, throws it overboard and leaves it forever. The fish can't get to them, but the scent will draw them in I suppose.