Pine Log WMA

brandonsc

Ima newb, can you explain more? What you are saying is I cannot use a AR that is .223 to hunt hogs?

you can use a 223 to hunt hogs during the big game hunt dates on wmas during small game date you CAN NOT use the 223 because its centerfire

jasonyoung

Ok, so the only time I can hunt WMA's for big game or hogs with big game rifles is quota hunts.

Again, I am sorry for newb questions.

pnome

Ok, so the only time I can hunt WMA's for big game or hogs with big game rifles is quota hunts.

Again, I am sorry for newb questions.

Quota hunts and Check-in big game hunts. Also the special hog hunts they have.

But if you want to go hunt them during small game dates, you can only use a bow, muzzleloader, rimfire, or shotgun (#2 shot or smaller).

jasonyoung

Quota hunts and Check-in big game hunts. Also the special hog hunts they have.

But if you want to go hunt them during small game dates, you can only use a bow, muzzleloader, rimfire, or shotgun (#2 shot or smaller).

But not the .223, right?

jasonyoung

Not trying to be dumb but this is what the reg says.

Rifles and Handguns: Any .22-cal. or smaller rimfire, air rifle, or any muzzleloading firear

If a .223 is in the same category as .22 then shouldn't be ok to use? Keyword would be the or, right?

35 Whelen

If a WMA is open for Big Game firearms hunting, whether it is a quota, check in, or a sign in hunt, you can kill a hog with a legal big game firearm. Archery equipment is also legal. Obviously, if it is a quota hunt you have to have been chosen in the drawing. Legal big game firearms are as follows:
DEER & BEAR FIREARMS
• Modern Rifles and Handguns: Centerfire
Only, .22-cal. or larger with expanding
bullets.
• Shotguns: 20-gauge or larger loaded with
slugs or buckshot. Buckshot is not allowed
on WMAs, unless otherwise specified.
• Muzzleloaders: .44-cal. or larger, or muzzleloading shotguns 20 gauge or larger.
Scopes are legal.

If a WMA is open for Big Game Primitive weapons hunting, you can kill a hog with a legal primitive weapon as follows:
• Primitive Weapons: Legal weapons during primitive weapons season include crossbows, bow and arrow, and muzzleloading
firearm. Scopes are legal.

If a WMA is open for Small Game hunting, you can kill a hog with legal small game firearms and ammunition or archery equipment only. Legal small game firearms and ammunition are as follows:
SMAll GAME & FURBEARER FIREARMS
• Rifles and Handguns: Any .22-cal. or smaller rimfire, air rifle, or any muzzleloading firearm.
• Shotguns: Any having shot shell size 3.5
inches or smaller in length with No. 2 or
smaller shot

If a WMA is open for Turkey Hunting, you can kill a hog with a legal turkey firearm and ammunition or archery equipment only. Legal turkey firearms and ammunition are as follows:
TURKEY FIREARMS: Shotguns with No. 2 or
smaller shot and any muzzleloading firearm

On "Special Hog Hunts" outlined on page 37, and pages 42-60 of the Seasons and Regulations booklet hogs may be killed with big game firearms and hunter orange may be required.

If a WMA is open for Archery Big Game hunting you can kill a hog with legal archery equipment as follows:
ARCHERY: Crossbows, longbows, recurve
bows, and compound bows are allowed
for hunting any game or feral hog. Arrows
for hunting deer, bear or feral hog must be
broadhead type.
Note: as stated archery equipment is legal for any game or feral hog during any season.

Also remember that there is a big difference between a centerfire cartridge (223, 270, 30-06 etc, etc) and a rimfire cartridge (17, 22, 22magnum).

35 Whelen

Not trying to be dumb but this is what the reg says.

If a .223 is in the same category as .22 then shouldn't be ok to use? Keyword would be the or, right?

The key word is RIMFIRE, 223 is a CENTERFIRE cartridge.

Sargent

The one on the right is a rimfire (standard .22LR). The primer is incorporated in the rim and when the rim is struck, the bullet is fired. The brass cannot be reloaded.

The one on the right is a centerfire. The primer is separate from the brass casing and can be removed after use and reloaded.

Attachments

• centerfirerimfire.jpg
    centerfirerimfire.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 2,143

jasonyoung

Sargent, I understand. What I dont understand it how the regs say OR.

Rifles and Handguns: Any .22-cal. or smaller rimfire, air rifle, or any muzzleloading firearm

Sargent

Rifles and Handguns: Any .22-cal. or smaller rimfire, air rifle, or any muzzleloading firearm

Oh ok... You said you were new to this, I just didn't know how new.

You can use a .17 WMR. That's where the "or" comes in.

I will agree that unless you read them every year, some things have to be translated from DNRSpeak to English.

Etoncathunter

I think better choice of typing it would be something like this:
Rifles and Handguns: Any .22-cal (or smaller) rimfire, air rifle, or any muzzleloading firearm.

That might be a better way for DNR to put it in the regs so it's easier for new people to understand. I know people that have been doing this for a while or were raised into it may take it as understood, but for people starting completely fresh there is ALOT in the regs to process as a whole.

35 Whelen

Again, the key word in that sentence is RIMFIRE! That eliminates ALL centerfire cartridges!

papachaz

really?

Just be aware Green Jeans is all over that WMA. You better be legit.

because we huntrd up there at least a dozen times during archery season and never saw a game warden on the WMA nor at the check station. I called em a couple of times to make sure they were all right.....

Last edited: