Bird

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
What kind of bird is this? I have never seen one like it. The poor pic is due to distance and cheap camera.

Attachments

• DSC04692.JPG
    DSC04692.JPG
    261.1 KB · Views: 1,505
  • DSC04691.JPG
    DSC04691.JPG
    277.2 KB · Views: 1,517

GillCommander

Scarlett Tanager? The picture is a little hazy, so it is hard for me to tell if the wing is dark or not.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It's a summer tanager. Looks like an immature male. Pretty birds.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
It had a beautiful call. I had never heard that sound from a bird and so I did what I could to find it in the tree and get a pic before it flew away.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I have a pair with a nest somewhere on the place.

drippin' rock

I've seen maybe three of these in my life. Had one sitting on my fence post a year back. Scrambled to get the camera, but it was gone.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Finally got a shot at a summer tanager. Set there and watched us shuck, silk, and blanch corn this morning.

Attachments

• tanager2.jpg
    tanager2.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 1,356
  • tanager1.jpg
    tanager1.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 1,340

T-N-T

I guess this one has eluded me too.

Beautiful birds!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nice shot, Nic! They are scarce as hen's teeth here in the mountains. We used to have a lot of scarlet tanagers back when I was a kid, but you very seldom see one nowadays.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nice shot, Nic! They are scarce as hen's teeth here in the mountains. We used to have a lot of scarlet tanagers back when I was a kid, but you very seldom see one nowadays.

Thanks, Steve.I can only remember a couple of scarlet tanagers when I was a youngun. As for these, the first one I ever saw was about 10 years ago outside Cuthbert, then a year or so later saw one in the big woods down in Seminole County. For some reason over the last 3 years or so, I see them fairly regular around here now. But, I hear them a lot more than I see em. They hide in the trees and sing. They must be shy?

ucfireman

I've lived in ga my whole life, 43 yrs. I have only seen 1 in that time, in Heard county. Beautiful birds and so red!

Gary Mercer

Been feeding the little feathered ones for almost 37 years here in Peachtree City, but have never seen one.
Thanks, Nic, great picture.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Great pics Nic!