what rod???

have my mind made up on one glass rod I like but problem is I don't know what size the rod comes in 3wt or 5wt I mostly fish around Cherokee north Carolina a couple times a year but always borrowed a buddies gear what rod would you guys go with for that area???

Georgia Hard Hunter

5wt is more versatile can also do bluegill and bass you could be limited with only a 3wt but if you're in the smaller mountain streams a 3wt would make catching 10" fish a lot more fun

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
I was bream fishing with a popping bug on a 3 wt. Thomas and Thomas Baetis and hooked a 13lb carp. I thought it would surely break the rod but after a 15 minute fight, the carp came to the side of the canoe.
Since the glass rod is going to be a little thicker and heavier than graphite, I believe I'd take the 3 wt.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have caught quite a few trout over 20" on my 3-weight, and also use it sometimes for smallmouth fishing. If you do a lot of fishing bigger waters or throwing heavy streamers, go with the 5. But to me, it's hard to beat a 3-weight for small stream trout fishing.