Real Indian canoe retreaved from GA river

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Seriously? How can you tell ?

Just a guess. It was most likely made around the B. C. Time which was 2000 years ago. It looks a lot like the ones in the Fla museum around that time line & others I have seen.
I just added 500 to be cool.

T-N-T

Been out of water for a few years.
ASAP ain't gonna help now

swamp hunter

Years ago I was sitting in the shade on some high ground next to the Glades with my buddy as Teenagers.
We were poking around and started finding bit of pottery and Turtle shells.
Told the local Gator Rama owner bout it and next time we went back it was Gridded off and pits dug.
They pulled a Canoe out of the mound. Guess it was a Burial Mound cause they found some good stuff.
We were never allowed back there again..dang..
Cool Find for sure.

southernman13

I have a friend who found one on Mormon property in Fl. Same way really in a drought it was poking out of the mud and he dug it up. It was donated to a museum in that Orlando

Gary Mercer

There was a dug-out similar to that in the swamp on the back of our farm near Summerville, SC.
It was in the swamp that backed into the farm, and Dad said we owned 66 acres of that swamp.
Old David, the colored gentleman who taught me everything about fishing with a cane pole, (and a lot of other stuff,) showed it to me. He said it had been made by the slaves on the plantation, that was part of our farm. It was very old, and he said he didn't know who made it, but it had always been there. You could clearly see where they had burned it out inside to hollow it out. The outside was worked with hand tools of some kind. It was made from very large cypress log. We fished out of it for about 4 years until I went off to SE Asia.
Last time I saw it, it was pulled up on the dike of the old rice field that was our part of the swamp.
I bet I could walk to that location right now. Probably long gone by now.
Point being, some of those old dug-outs are more recent than you may think.
Good Thread.

T-N-T

There was a dug-out similar to that in the swamp on the back of our farm near Summerville, SC.
It was in the swamp that backed into the farm, and Dad said we owned 66 acres of that swamp.
Old David, the colored gentleman who taught me everything about fishing with a cane pole, (and a lot of other stuff,) showed it to me. He said it had been made by the slaves on the plantation, that was part of our farm. It was very old, and he said he didn't know who made it, but it had always been there. You could clearly see where they had burned it out inside to hollow it out. The outside was worked with hand tools of some kind. It was made from very large cypress log. We fished out of it for about 4 years until I went off to SE Asia.
Last time I saw it, it was pulled up on the dike of the old rice field that was our part of the swamp.
I bet I could walk to that location right now. Probably long gone by now.
Point being, some of those old dug-outs are more recent than you may think.
Good Thread.

I love a good story such as this.

Thanks for posting!

Jeff Raines

For those believing this belongs in a museum.....Museums don't want artifacts like this anymore.

They are very expensive to maintain in the natural condition.Just like the dinosaur exhibits,it's much easier to make a reproduction for the public to look at.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
For those believing this belongs in a museum.....Museums don't want artifacts like this anymore.

They are very expensive to maintain in the natural condition.Just like the dinosaur exhibits,it's much easier to make a reproduction for the public to look at.

There is an old Indian dugout in the Museum of the Cherokee Indian near here in Cherokee that was pulled out of a river somewhere. I'm amazed that they keep it up.

carver

I've got one at my cabin,hand hewn cypress,you can still see the chop marks (I've had it about 25 years,got it from the guy that found it)

Attachments

• 0204171326c[593].jpg
    0204171326c[593].jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 692
  • 0204171326b[594].jpg
    0204171326b[594].jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 675

Gary Mercer

That is beautiful. Looks a lot like the one I fished out of as a boy. (See below)
Glad you're keeping it alive.