Broken leg

rosewood

Dogs get around on 3 legs with no problems so a deer shouldn't be no different

This is true and so can cats, but usually they have vet visit to clean it up and treat for infection.

ucfireman

pics

Attachments

• 11280652.jpg
    11280652.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 2,547
  • 11280653.jpg
    11280653.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 2,648
  • 11280654.jpg
    11280654.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 2,562

ucfireman

I put out a gravity corn feeder today. I'm going to let him be and see what happens. I have 3 cameras out and hopefully he will stay around and I can watch him.

BlackEagle

Banned
His rack may be messed up on the opposite side next year.

Most people get this wrong.

A deer shot in the front left leg will have an antler deformation on THE SAME SIDE as the injured front leg....so the left side..

A deer with an injury to a back right leg, will have antler deformation on the left antler.

The nerves cross over and swap sides halfway down the spine which is what causes the effect to be reversed when there is a rear leg injury. Just a bit of useless knowledge for you today :)

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Dogs get around on 3 legs with no problems so a deer shouldn't be no different

This^^^^^^is what I was thinking. Might get taken by yotes. But, if everything else is working, the wound gets healed and the Deer has enough time to get used to not using it anymore, I like its chances:cheers:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
If a predator takes it down, it is just doing its job. Nature takes care of its own. Man just generally interferes.

ucfireman

Left is sleepy fawn and right is standing fawn. They like to bed in the front yard, cool huh? I have numerous deer using my place. I have 7 does, 9 fawns and 7 different bucks on camera from the summer and fall. A neighbors grandkids killed a small 6 I had on camera and a nice 8 I didn't. I use my place as mainly a sanctuary, I hunt only 1/2 it and haven't killed anything in 6 years. My neighbor bring kids from church to hunt and they usually take 2-3 a year, always their 1st deer. That feeder is a spin feeder with FRM 20% deer pellets, I swap it occasionally to corn.

ucfireman

I got him on video again yesterday, Good news I guess. He is putting pretty good weight on it, and it doesn't appear to be swinging anymore. I guess its starting to callus and heal. Still a big swollen area above the break. Hopefully no one shoots him. Still looks healthy. I would like to share the videos but don't know how.

ucfireman

As of 12-26-16 he is still alive and looking good, hasn't lost much weight. He has healed up, still has a slight limp but you can barely tell. The swelling has gone down and I'm sure he'll make it. I will try to post pics.

ucfireman

healed!

My 6 pt that had the broken leg is all healed up. He dropped 1 side. He shows no limp and all the swelling is gone. Be interesting to see what he does this year.

Attachments

• 03050337.jpg
    03050337.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 411

CamoClad

We've had a doe in our neighborhood with a broken front leg for 7 years. Her leg never fell off, just dangles. However, she has had a fawn or two every year and she keep right on hoppin' through the neighborhood.