War Between the States

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
What did the Rock of Chickamauga do there? Or better, what did his men do for him there?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I had some ancestors to gather at that place before going to meet the Elephant.
Camp McDonald is what they called it.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
whipped the unprepared Rebs?

The Rebs were prepared but not effectively. Brag had made the tactical mistake of placing his lines and his guns along the actual crest of Missionary Ridge instead of the military crest. Grant had ordered Thomas forward to take the rifle pits in the center. Thomas sent his army forward and took that position but it was exposed to Confederate fire from the crest. On their own the soldiers began to move forward and up the slope in front of them where there was some protection. Officers on the field took up the same course and soon the general advance was continued up the slope (without orders) and it was successful in breaking the Confederate center.

Had Bragg placed his army on the ridge correctly the outcome would likely have been different.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Who was the youngest man Union or Confederate to achieve the rank of General. What age was he when he did so?

35 Whelen

If I remember correctly it was George Armstrong Custer, however not sure of the age, late twenties I believe.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
What is your favorite name to call the war ?

Mine is:

The War to Prevent Southern Independence

However, I typically call it the War Between the States so people will recognize what I am talking about.

westcobbdog

The Union Army of Tn. was led by Gen. James McPherson. At the battle of Atlanta McPherson and a few men accidently rode within view of some of Cleburne's men, who sent a volley their way. Gen McPherson died instantly. His aide was injured but made it back to blue bellie lines. How did they know exactly what time the General died?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I don't know the answer but am glad to see the thread alive

Status
Not open for further replies.