GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Outdoor Facts, History, and Oddities of Nature

Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM

Those folks didn't waste much. My grandmother still had a "water shelf" on the back porch when I was a kid. A tin lined home made sink was next to it. By the time I could remember they had piped water from the well and there was a faucet there, but the soap by the sink was an amalgamation of small pieces of different colored soap that were left over from used up bars. She would heat them and mold them together. An old flour sack hung from a nail by the sink for a towel.
Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM

My granddaddy was born in 1909. Never heard him talk much of the depression other than to say they were poor when it hit and they were poor when it left. Like most from that era, he never threw anything away. My childhood was spent rummaging through his sheds finding all sorts of "treasures". I'd run to him to show what I had and he would nod like he knew it was there all along and would say "put it back!"

I had a aunt that had the peculiar habit of rinsing out the tin cans and jars of food she cooked. She would swirl the water around the can and drink it. I was always told it was because she lived through the depression and wasted nothing.