Opening day success

Lumpkin Hunter

Killed this bird before 8:30 opening morning. I heard one faint gobble at 7:25 am so I moved in that direction. I had killed a good bird last year in the same area in early season and hunting this area for several years so I felt I knew where the bird might spend some time in the morning hours. It took me to 8 am to get where I wanted and set up. On my first series of yelps he gobbled cutting me off. I waited a few minutes and gave him another 3 note yelp. He cut me off again. I let him be for about 10 minutes letting him gobble on his own several times. On my next set of yelps he gobbled and another bird gobbled with him. I put down my call and waited again letting him gobble a few more times. He went quiet which let me know he was probably moving to me. after about 10 more minutes he gobbled on his own at the foot of the ridge I had set up on. I immediately gave him a soft yelp cutting his gobble off. He double gobbled at the call. I immediately put down the call and raised my gun to my knee waiting for him to show over the small lip of ground below me. It wasn't but just a minute until he peered over the lip looking for the hen he knew was there. Instead he met a load of Federal HW #7 in the face. Shot was about 30 yards I like to set up so that when they can see where I am calling from they are within easy range. 10" beard 1" spurs----I thanked the good Lord for letting me be successful and have a great hunt.

Attachments

• IMG_0082.jpg
    IMG_0082.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 738

Luke0927

Hood bird and story, same way I like to set up to if you can see him he is in range!

Booner Killa

I love a good knoll between he and I. That's a great way to keep em looking and they are less likely to hang up. Well done.

wvdawg

Staff member
Nice job! Congrats!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Great story..........love the tips too. Thanks You!

Congrats on a nice bird!!