"Hoss Drive"

rnelson5

The risk is at least two fold. 1) You get thrown hard in the boat and break something (bone or equipment) or 2) you get thrown into cold water, which can quickly lead to death by hypothermia.

Don't get me wrong, I like to hear the gas going through the carb as much as anyone, but I don't care to run over 30mph in most situations.

There is my problem. Even with the 4400 BD I still can't get thirty with a true hunting load. Getting up on plane also takes longer, which can become a problem if you are in thick mud or vegetation.

Its not the ones just under the surface I'm worried about, its the ones sticking up a foot out of the water that I don't see.

I have only been stopped DEAD in my tracks once in my life in a boat and it was with a mudmotor and we were loaded down off plane trying to pick our way through some shoals. When I went flying to the front of the boat I landed on hard gun cases and it was 15 degrees out and everyone of them cases broke.

Two things I learned that morning so long ago that have held true to this day, dont use hard cases when its cold and never let off the throttle to try and go over shallow places cause off plane you use more water.

When you hit stumps going slow that's what tends to roll you over the side. Momentum is going to carry you over it better than going slow like how the bike ramp would mess you up if you drove over it slow but if you were flying it was sooooo much smoother. PIN IT and HOLD ON..... 30 or 50 mph it don't make me no never mind....

It's definitely better to hit the stumps just below surface with the boat on step rather than slow. But I will pass on running a stump field at WOT. I had the rail of my 1860 under water with 4 people in the boat chasing a gator through the stumps on Seminole once. This was due to idling around in them. The bilge pump is the only reason that boat didn't go under in the middle of the night in gator infested waters.

MudDucker

Staff member
There is my problem. Even with the 4400 BD I still can't get thirty with a true hunting load. Getting up on plane also takes longer, which can become a problem if you are in thick mud or vegetation.

I didn't know there was anyone who carried more junk than me! :bounce:

gsfowler

Ripped a hole right through my hull going WOT through a stump field :hammers:. That was only with a 10hp LT. I think ill idle through them from now on (even with a thicker gauge hull).

Ripped a hole right through my hull going WOT through a stump field :hammers:. That was only with a 10hp LT. I think ill idle through them from now on (even with a thicker gauge hull).

Pretty easy to rip one in a riveted or even a welded Jon boat. I have pounded rocks and stumps in a .125 hull and gotten nothing more than a small dent, if that.

emusmacker

I can't make myself justify buying a mud motor. I like my outboard. Gets there faster.

rnelson5

I can't make myself justify buying a mud motor. I like my outboard. Gets there faster.

Depends on where you hunt. If you are solely hunting around here there is no need. They most definitely have their place though.

krazybronco2

i wouldnt say that about most of the duck boats i see running around the area. but here is the thing i dont mind going a little slower in the dark my dad and i have beached a small boat on the lake in the dark. we were lucky it was a 14 rivited boat and we could get it back into the water. my boat if we had done that we would have been sitting there for awhile.

kevbo3333

Winch

i wouldnt say that about most of the duck boats i see running around the area. but here is the thing i dont mind going a little slower in the dark my dad and i have beached a small boat on the lake in the dark. we were lucky it was a 14 rivited boat and we could get it back into the water. my boat if we had done that we would have been sitting there for awhile.

Same thing here, that 18' prodigy is heavy and two men can move it off sand. I'm looking at getting a badlands winch but a winch is only as good as what you hook it to. I prefers my SD in the river specially at night, I don't have to worry about messing up the lower unit or sucking up sand in a water pump.

Duckbuster82

Same thing here, that 18' prodigy is heavy and two men can move it off sand. I'm looking at getting a badlands winch but a winch is only as good as what you hook it to. I prefers my SD in the river specially at night, I don't have to worry about messing up the lower unit or sucking up sand in a water pump.

Just get a anchor that is a little bigger than you need for your boat. It will be able to pull that boat out.

emusmacker

I like outrunning others to the spots.:shoot:

GSURugger

You don't need one where you hunt anyway. If i come over your way I've got access to a 90hp tunnel hull. agree on the speed.