2017 south dakota pheasant forecast

smoothie

I've been reading of a record hatching last year which means a record number of upland birds. Grouse numbers are insane right now

Gator89

I have been to SoDak every year since 2009, I plan to do so this year as well.

Not just for the birds, I get to visit some great friends, too.

nrh0011

I have been to SoDak every year since 2009, I plan to do so this year as well.

Not just for the birds, I get to visit some great friends, too.

you're a lucky man, I always enjoy going out there. Maybe all the CRP won't be gone this year, but I know that sometimes it's a make or break situation with those farmers when a drought hits.

Killinstuff

Yeah I was in SD, ND and MT late August and early September and the western half of SD and ND are bone dry. The eastern half of those states should still have pretty fair hunting as they got more rain spring and summer. MT was hit very hard and bird numbers are waaaaay down.

Iowa, Kansas and Nebraska look to to be the places to pheasant hunt this year and I'm heading to KS and NE late November to see.

mecicon

Talked to one of the farmers where I hunt and he said numbers are down as indicated.

I'm expecting numbers to be about par with 2013 :hair:

Probably the only public land I'll do this year will be Fort Pierre National Grasslands to chase some sharpies.

PHImech

I've got 2 buddies up in Mott ND (SW part of the state) that went out yesterday and confirmed what everybody else has said. Pictures of beers at the bar afterwards, but no birds.

Fishin & Hunting

Still going, but it will be mostly for good times with family and friends. My cousin who is a farmer and hosts our stay every year told me bring my shotgun, three shells, and a fishing pole.

mecicon

After Action Report

We only hunted four days, wild birds, private land, that had only been hunted on Opening Day.

We had a "Plan B" and a "Plan C" but we didn't need to utilize them. Walking 12-13 miles per day. We heard reports of one bird per day and less per hunter.

Attachments

• IMG_0695.jpg
    IMG_0695.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 155