12 ga shotguns

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Do y'all think it's a little to much gun for quail and doves.
Do u think a auto load or pump shotgun is to much for quail. 2 shots only for quail.
Just wondering. Thanks.

georgia_home

There are a number of good auto loaders out there, and a 12 is right for everything.

ryanh487

#7 shot is #7 shot in every gauge. 12 ga just has more of it. Use a more open choke pattern if you're worried about putting too many pellets on target.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Shoot what you have. For various reasons, some landowners restrict gauges for quail and won't allow 12's for quail. If you only have one gun and it's a 12, the choice is clearer. Despite having smaller gauges, my preference for birds is a 16. I like the way a 16 ga. handles. I don't try to make it shoot like a 12 with heavy loads. Gil

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
All my 12's pretty much ride the safe now. Dove, duck, turkey, etc. The 20's are all I use anymore.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
Do y'all think it's a little to much gun for quail and doves.
Do u think a auto load or pump shotgun is to much for quail. 2 shots only for quail.
Just wondering. Thanks.

Quail, yes. Doves, no.
You shoot just fine with your 20 gauge. :whip:

Uptonongood

I don't think there is any reason to use a 12ga on any small bird species including grouse, doves, snipe, woodcock, quail and so on. The right choke and 7/8's oz of 71/2 or 8 shot is more than enough to drop these birds. The exception is if you only own one shotgun. Historically, true southern quail hunting was done with nothing larger than a 20 ga and only double barrel guns. It is about the sport, not the kill. I guess it's like using a .300 ultra magnum on a Georgia whitetail deer, it drops them but there are better options.

If you're having trouble dropping birds with a 20 ga then spend some time off season shooting skeet or sporting clays with a buddy.

mlandrum

I use 12 Guage for dove and 20 Guage for decoying dove. I use my 20 Guage for wood cock, quail and partridge . All my weapons of choice are Yildiz:cool:

smoothie

If that's what you have shoot it! Small shot, an ounce or less and open choke(s). Have fun and the ammo is cheaper anyway. Me....I love my 16's

DRBugman85

Good old 870 sp12 ga,I have 12-16-20 and 410 ga 870s and my 12 ga is the go to for deer,duck,Dove and anything else I hunt.The game I hunt is food We eat as for as sport dead is dead.I use sub ga shotguns for teaching younger children to hunt and shoot skeet with. The 12 ga does it all period. :flag:

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
The thinking with some landowners and wild quail is that a 12 gauge has a larger pattern and the fringe wounds birds on a coveyrise that escape and aren't recovered or just killed outright. The resistance on using a 12 ga. is to preserve the covey from overshooting by limiting the number of birds taken. Gil

jollymon

My 12's are for ducks now , 16ga.and 20ga. for everything else but it was a 12ga only for
a long time

Rabun

For me it's 20 only for quail, chukar, pheasant stockers...I'll use 12 or 20 for dove depending what my Son wants to use if he's with me...otherwise it's the 12 for dove just for some added umph.