New to duck hunting. Couple questions

basshound72

I'm a life long upland bird hunter, just never had a place to duck hunt until now. I do not like crowds or skybusters so I never wanted the frustration of public lands. So First off not looking for places. I have my own place already. Been watching it for 3-4 weeks now and have 75-125 birds coming in every morning at LST. My questions are.
#1 I only have ½ dozen decoys at the moment. Will that be a sufficient number?
#2 I can only setup safely in a South facing setup, but the birds usually approach from that direction no matter wind direction. I have been told by some others that they will only approach decoys from certain wind directions. I have put in my time scouting the place and watching the birds about 4-5 days a week now and the birds on their own come the same direction every morning. My question is Should I wait for a particular wind to hunt the setup like I've been told by some not so avid waterfowlers have said? Or just setup like I would from my observations the last month or so.

First post on the waterfowl forum, so don't be to rough on the new guy. Just don't want to ruin a decent spot by doing something wrong.
Thanks in advance for any tips and advice

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
That’s not that many birds. Maybe it will pick up.
Do u have a duck call ?

tucker80

You've got the hard part done. With the decoys, what you see the day before... do the morning of your hunt. If it's wood ducks then keep your decoys natural. Groups of 2 spread out. A few singles. 4-6 is plenty Then just let them do what they're already doing. And don't over shoot it. Let them rest.
Have fun and Good luck!!

hrstille

Wind really doesn't factor in a wood duck hole. Worry about the wind if you're trying to work birds into a spread. Wood ducks dive into a hole without using wind to land into. 6 decoys is plenty. Just keep it natural looking.

jakebuddy

If you know where they are landing consistently I wouldn't worry about decoys, slip in and be within range let the first one land the the others will come. Sounds like you should have fun.

HookinLips

If you know where they are landing consistently I wouldn't worry about decoys, slip in and be within range let the first one land the the others will come. Sounds like you should have fun.

I second this. If they're coming in the exact same way every morning to the same spot I would just set yourself up accordingly with no decoys and :shoot::shoot::shoot:

basshound72

Thanks again guys. I was actually thinking about doing what jakebuddy said. It'll just be three of us in the natural blind I set up today. I may have to take the shells away from my dad until the first one lands. I made the blind from cane and leftover corn stalks from the cut cornfields the swamp borders.

The Fever

This is solid advice.