Nebraska pheasant opener report

Jetjockey

For those of you going out west, make sure you call the farmer, or people in the area you plan to hunt, and make sure the corn is out. Most of it is still standing in Eastern CO and Western NE. Standing corn makes for tough pheasant hunting. I got this young bird but it should have been a double. I had to hold my second shot on the double because a friends dog was hot on the heels of a low flying bird, which he was NEVER going to catch. One reason I’m no fan of unbroke dogs. Anyways, the hunting will continue to be tough until the corns out. Good news is they were combining like crazy, so I’d assume it will all be out within two weeks.

Attachments

• 9F4A7F42-F10D-4366-A978-9D732814D004.jpeg
    9F4A7F42-F10D-4366-A978-9D732814D004.jpeg
    425.6 KB · Views: 729

Jetjockey

Talked to a farmer in Kansas. Corn is coming out like crazy. Shouldn’t be too bad for the opener. Personally, I kinda hope it stays in for a week or two after the opener as it makes for much better late season hunting. Conditions are perfect for the farmers right now though, and they are harvesting like crazy.

Michael F Sights

I talked to 3 groups last week that hunted in the Dakotas, not sure which one. All said it was the worse hunting they has ever seen. No birds, bad drought.

Jetjockey

I’m in Austin at a UT football game while a buddy of mine hunted opening day in CO for pheasants. He limited in 90 minutes and missed s bunch of birds. According to him, 50+ hens and 25+ roosters with really crappy shooting. Corn is mostly out.

Killinstuff

How can anyone miss a Pheasant let alone a bunch of them?

Heading to Iowa Monday for a few days then western Kansas til December. Really going to try and find better spots for Scales in the SW corner of KS but might kill the odd Pheasant that gets in the way.

Jetjockey

Simple. Especially CO pheasants. They get pushed so hard they are the runningest jumpiest pheasants I’ve ever seen. Rarely do you get a shot within 30 yards on CO pheasants, even pointed ones. Late season CO pheasants act more like late season sharptail. If you can get close, your doing well.

Scalie numbers look good this year, you should find a bunch. Another buddy hunted Western KS a few days ago and got into a lot of birds. Lots of grain in still but he thinks there’s more birds this year than the last few years. You should have very good hunting.

Killinstuff

Yeah, in SW KS right now. North f Garden City there's a lot of standing crops Lots of pheasants SW of Garden City. Didn't see a quail today but maybe 70 pheasants, half roosters. Shot 2. But want quail. 75 degrees by noon sucks for the dogs who have have been hunting in snow the past two weeks.

I never saw another hunter today.