duck hunters in heard county

GWH

If you hunt in the five points area outside of Franklin and have corn out for ducks, beware!!!! a small plane circled the swamp close to AJ's several times today after 1:30. I will try to leave notes on you gates off of Hwy. 27 south

Long Cut

Feel like you'd need A LOT of corn to be visible from the air but then again I never baited a swamp

mattuga

Banned
Saw helicopters flying a creek day before opener in Wilkinson County a few years ago. Was very low and went right over our swamp. I assumed they were corn hunting.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
You know the conspiracy statute and the accessory statutes make conspiring or or aiding or abetting illegal hunting is a crime.

Now I am sure the original poster was not trying to aid any potential illegal hunters therefore he must be trying to scare someone off of thier prospective hunting spot.

chase870

Possum Sox
If you put corn out it will shine like a light in the water. I put some out once in a swamp, say 400 plus pounds and realized I could see it from the highway bridge 600 yards away. Needless to say I figured it was in my best interest not to hunt over that. The best part was the warden got a poacher hunting over it

across the river

Cheaters should be caught. Anyone who cheats mother nature cant be trusted.

How do you cheat mother nature with corn? She grew it. So if you pour it out for deer you aren't cheating mother nature. If you pour it out for ducks you are, but only if you hunt over it I am assuming. What if I plant corn. If I bush hog it an hunt doves over, I'm not cheating, but if I bush hog it and hunt ducks over it, I am cheating mother nature. Is all this correct?

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
How do you cheat mother nature with corn? She grew it. So if you pour it out for deer you aren't cheating mother nature. If you pour it out for ducks you are, but only if you hunt over it I am assuming. What if I plant corn. If I bush hog it an hunt doves over, I'm not cheating, but if I bush hog it and hunt ducks over it, I am cheating mother nature. Is all this correct?
Sounds about right to me.

Duckbuster82

I use to feel the same way, but have realized the difference and the importance of planting verse dumping. I see the value in planting crop for birds, natural habitat and food is being lost rapidly. Without people creating impoundments and planting food for birds there would be no reason for them to stop here. I do hold a wild shot duck way higher than a impoundment killed bird.

across the river

I use to feel the same way, but have realized the difference and the importance of planting verse dumping. I see the value in planting crop for birds, natural habitat and food is being lost rapidly. Without people creating impoundments and planting food for birds there would be no reason for them to stop here. I do hold a wild shot duck way higher than a impoundment killed bird.

I'm not arguing there is a difference. I personally don't think you should be able to dump corn out and hunt ducks or doves over it. I also understand why the laws are written the way they are. I agree with you to some extent, although I feel a much bigger sense of accomplishment killing a duck in an impoundment over something I have planted than I do one I killed at the lake or something where all I really did is show back up in the spot I saw him the afternoon before. My point was made toward the "cheating nature" comment. If you go that route, anything can be considering cheating nature. Shooting one with a shotgun. Calling one in with a call. Using decoys and mojo. All of that could be considering cheating nature just as much as feeding a duck with corn you poured out of a bag. If you want to say you don't trust someone who breaks the law, that is one thing, but lets not act like killing one with steel shot is "natural" but feeding one with corn isn't.

Duckbuster82

Using decoys and a call to convince a duck to do what you want is more of and accomplishment. I can shoot a private corn pond and kill full limits every day I show up. A vast majority of impoundments are not maintained by the people that hunt them. Hunting public you are having to deal with many more factors than private. Ducks on private are not nearly as weary as public. As far as cheating nature I don’t exactly understand what the extent of the comment is. The idea of duck hunting is using calls and decoys, dumping corn or planting corn is cheating in my book.

across the river

Using decoys and a call to convince a duck to do what you want is more of and accomplishment. I can shoot a private corn pond and kill full limits every day I show up. A vast majority of impoundments are not maintained by the people that hunt them. Hunting public you are having to deal with many more factors than private. Ducks on private are not nearly as weary as public. As far as cheating nature I don’t exactly understand what the extent of the comment is. The idea of duck hunting is using calls and decoys, dumping corn or planting corn is cheating in my book.

So you have a private corn pond that you own, but you choose to go deal with yahoos on public water because you feel like it is cheating?

AdamFly

I think we even the playing field and start telling DNR to quit giving the ducks the map to which places are private ponds.

meandmydog

Breaking the law is Cheating. Pouring any kind of bait any where especially public land is very inconsiderate for other hunters who obey the laws.