shrimp

donald_5d

Can you still catch shrimp with a cast net now. If so, are they in the rivers or in the sound area. Also, when does the shrimp season in Ga end this year. thanks..

caughtinarut

WalkInDead is the expert but I know you can catch them pretty much the same places....tge water is just cooler. The season ends in December.

WalkinDead

Banned
The season typically ends December 31. You can catch them with a cast net from the beach, but it is a lot of work for few shrimp. You would be better off using a cast net from a boat in the creek channels at slack tide. It is illegal to use bait for shrimp in Georgia.
Another option would be to use a shrimp trap. They can be made easily enough out of half inch opening hardware wire or can be purchased.

donald_5d

Is it legal to trap shrimp in Ga. I don't see anything in the regulations about traps, just no baiting. I never heard of shrimp traps. How do you make and set one. This sounds really interesting. Thanks.

WalkinDead

Banned
They can be purchased online from various vendors. I took hardware cloth with 1/2 openings and made one many years ago, before I got into seining. It was basically three 18 inch semicircles with 1 inch openings in the center area to allow the shrimp to enter, similar to a crab trap, and 12 inches high. I used nylon wire ties to assemble it quickly. One of the semicircles had a hinged door on top, held closed by wire ties, to allow me to dump the shrimp out. Like a crab trap, there is a round center column where the bait is placed. You can see something similar here: http://wavewalk.com/blog/2013/06/09/diy-4-way-pinfish-trap/

Haven't used one in years, but they work rather well. Just drop them into water 10'+ deep and let them soak for three or four hours. It will need to be weighted to keep the current from sweeping it away and have a float attached to it so you can recover it. They can be used off docks and piers, also.

Last edited: