Savage 116 in 25-06

deast1988

.25/06 I like it. Great round I like to use it in more open situations not a big thicket but open woods food plots fields. But it hammers deer, imo folks discredit it but if you hear lost deer because of it it's operator error. I solely carried it an entire season 6 shots 6 deer. I was using an Abolt with 117gr SST handloads an a Savage model 11 I think it's a 26in stainless fluted bull barrel 100gr Nosler Etips. That season I shot a buck field dress 192lbs, the 100gr detached his heart An deer went 20yds. If you put in in the goodies it works amazing.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I killed dozens of deer with a 25-06 during my poor country boy days when I could really only afford one rifle. That one did it all. I hand loaded it down to .35 inch to .4 inch groups with 85 grain ballistic tips and kept it under three quarters of an inch with deer loads. I found that I could not always count on an exit wound even with 100 grain bullets. Better with 115 to 120 grain bullets for deer...
Minimal recoil let me learn to shoot without blinking my scope eye.
1 is still in my quiver, but these days I like a larger caliber with a heavier bullet.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I used one for 10 or so years almost exclusively. I can't tell you how many times I have seen hair fly. With the old Hornady Custom 117gr SP Interlock it would shoot about .5 MOA. I have to say it is my favorite in my stable.

With my hand loads it shoots a little better. #1 was a cold clean bore and not included with the other 4 for measurement.

Attachments

• 4831.jpg
    4831.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 331

biggdogg

A Savage rifle is one of the most accurate out of the box rifles you can buy. Period. They're not pretty, but they shoot. And shoot well. You won't be disappointed.

GunnSmokeer

I had a Savage in 7mm Mag for the biggest game, and a .243 version of the same gun for deer-sized game at modest ranges.

If I had to own only one bolt action centerfire rifle for all my purposes, living here in the South as I do, I think a .25-06 (with 125 gr. bullets) or the very similar 7mm-08 (with 130 gr. bullets) would be my choice.

biggdogg

And fwiw, the rifle in my avatar is my son's Savage 11 in .243. It will shoot 3/4" at a 100 yards with Remington Core-Lokt 100 gr all day long. He shot that buck at 180 yards.

creation's_cause

Thanks for the interesting additional comments. I ended up ordering the gun from Howard's in Macon. I didn't get a great deal on it, but they quickly got it ordered and in, in 4 days with no money down. So far I got it cleaned up (it was very dirty: Lots of surface dust/grime and a dirty bore) Stainless is very even and appealing, fit and finish; excellent. Now the hunt for good rings and optics....maybe this spring/summer I will get to shoot it.

SC Hunter

Thanks for the interesting additional comments. I ended up ordering the gun from Howard's in Macon. I didn't get a great deal on it, but they quickly got it ordered and in, in 4 days with no money down. So far I got it cleaned up (it was very dirty: Lots of surface dust/grime and a dirty bore) Stainless is very even and appealing, fit and finish; excellent. Now the hunt for good rings and optics....maybe this spring/summer I will get to shoot it.

Wait you bought a new gun and it had rust and a filthy bore???

creation's_cause

No rust...but all the surfaces were quite grimy and, I assume from the factory test fire...the bore was pretty dirty....new rifle...NO RUST.

SC Hunter

No rust...but all the surfaces were quite grimy and, I assume from the factory test fire...the bore was pretty dirty....new rifle...NO RUST.

Good deal I was going to say if a new gun has rust on it you need to take it back for another. 25-06 is an awesome round I had 1 and I traded It off and I regret It to this day.