New Cheap Gun Advice

Khondker

While ago I sold all my hunting guns because financial reasons, it was heart breaking and I still feel the pain. But I kept all the ammo for all the calibers.

I'm looking into buying a 30-06 without breaking the bank. I hunt in WMAs, so shots are very short range through the woods.

Looking into 30-06 Remington 783, 30-06 Savage Axis XP and 30-06 Mossberg Patriot.

If you guys and gals could share your experience and give advice based on experience with these firearms, that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

bevills1

Once looked at Savage Axis that had absolutely awful trigger imo but haven't seen Mossberg Patriot. I like the Remington 783 which has a nice feel and decent trigger. If I were you, I'd look at all of them in person before making the choice.

jglenn

783.. trigger is a large plus and it shoots great

if you get one with the Remington scope on it. trash the scope..

Personally, I like the more traditional look of the walnut stocked Patriot. I believe you'll also find more steel, rather then plastic as in trigger guards or swivel studs.

michaellee84

I'd go to a pawn shop and try to pick up whatever I could afford. May get a good deal!! Just get whatever fits budget! Savage is a great cheaper gun!! Lot of performance for the price!

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
I bought the $299 Mossberg Patriot 30-06 last Tuesday at Academy Sports (really didn't need it, but had a bunch of gift cards to use). I did change out the scope for a Weaver, but after bore-sighting, it took 12 rounds to zero it to "minute of deer" at a 100 yds, using Federal Non-Typical 150 gr. ammo. I can't wait to see what it will shoot with handloads.

Great rifle for the price, killed this 8 pointer with it on Friday.

Attachments

• MossbergPatriot.jpg
    MossbergPatriot.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 724
  • 8point.jpg
    8point.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 724
  • patriot target.jpg
    patriot target.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 722

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Dutch, that was one of the best, most helpful and informative posts ever. Thanks.

bighonkinjeep

Personally I'd find buy a Savage but I'd stay away from the Axis. I would find a used Savage 110 for a song somewhere (probably a gunbroker penny auction) or maybe a new package rifle from a local gun shop or gunbroker if it could be had for around $350. Many of the Savage package guns come with a serviceable entry level Nikon ready to hunt.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I've got a Savage 110 in 7mm Magnum. Great gun.

ryanh487

Don't overlook the t/c compass. You'd need a scope but the rifles have been on sale with a rebate so they end up being around $200. Put a $150 scope on it and your ahead of any budget combo. I picked one up in .243 just because and my buddy got a 30-06. Great little rifles! Stock is a little meh but awesome trigger, free float barrel and aluminum pillar bedded action add up to a very solid rifle.

biggdogg

You can usually find a Savage 110 or 111 in '06 for around $300 used. Hands down better than the choices you listed.

Catch a good sale and you can probably pick one up new with scope for $400 or so.

Have you thought about buying a used gun. i traded for my Howa 3006 and bought a 3X9 Tasco world class and I have about a hundred and fifty bucks in the gun and scope. Just an idea.

Rich M

A $300 rifle is the new normal. They shoot great. No need to possibly buy someone else's problem gun when you can spend less and possibly get a better gun.

I just can't get into the cheap scope or scope mounts phenomena tho.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
The Patriot came with a Dead Ringer brand scope (???).

Thats why I replaced it with a Weaver Kaspa and Weaver rings, that I had lying around the gun room.

Seems to be working so far, we'll see how the combo holds up.

FYI, if you dont change scopes, check all your screws. Other than the actual mounts on the rifle reciever, all the screws were just hand tight. (Which is a good idea whatever brand rifle you buy.)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Savage 110 or Ruger American.

TCOmega

Savage 110 or Ruger American.

I am going to 2nd the Ruger American. I bought a used one with 20 rounds fired thru it. It is a .270, and with Hornady Precision Ammo (the Hornady ELD-X) bullet, it is just over 1" groups @ 100yds. I bought one in .243 as well, but it is not quite as good. Haven't found the ELD-X for it though. They were both $300. Decent triggers. If I can ever find the time to develop some reloads for them, they would be even better.

wareagle700

For a tight budget I think the Ruger American is very hard to beat.

Klondike

Savage & Howa

Well made rifles. I would avoid the Axis and get the 110. If you want to go .308 instead of 30-06 the savage model 12 at cabelas is $319 right now after discount and $100 rebate. It is a heavy gun but I think outshoots everything in this price range. Normally a $450 gun.