Case Trimmer?

bevills1

I've used the Lee case trimmer like the 1 at https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....e-trim-hand-case-trimmer-universal-(no-pilots) which has worked satisfactorily for 40+ year of reloading, but recently the shell began to slip out of the shell holder and lock stud making it impossible to trim cases with this trimmer. Does anyone know if simply getting a new 1 of these would solve the problem, or are there other trimmers with which Lee shell holders and pilots can be used?

I've looked at other trimmers similar to the 1 at https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....case-trimmer-(pilots-and-collets-not-included), but it requires collets and different pilots than the Lee. I load a dozen different rifle calibers and 4 pistol calibers. and purchasing all those collets and pilots would be more than the cost of the Forster trimmer. I'd like to find another trimmer that will accept Lee pilots and shell holders or replace the Lee trimmer if no other trimmer will work with Lee pilots and hsell holders. Does any body have any suggestions?

WishboneW

I use the Lee zip trim. Bet your pilots and cutter would work on one. Not sure about the collets but the whole set up is inexpensive. Maybe ask Lee about interchangeability

Jester896

Senior Clown
I use this one for some jobs and it is OK. The shell holder comes with the mandrel. Not expensive at all. I might even pick up 1-2 more mandrel and shell holders for special projects. It cuts back about .010 under max.

I use a Wilson/Sinclair for most of the other stuff.

My K&M neck turning handle uses lee primer shell holders

Last edited:

rayjay

I don't understand the problem you are having. Could be your cutter is dull or you are being too aggressive with the down pressure causing the cutter to dig in too much - take too much off in one turn.

I have used just about all the common brands and finally settled on the Wilson set up as the most consistent. When I quit shooting BR matches I sold the Wilson stuff and went back to using my Lee stuff.

bevills1

I use the Lee zip trim. Bet your pilots and cutter would work on one. Not sure about the collets but the whole set up is inexpensive. Maybe ask Lee about interchangeability
At https://leeprecision.com/zip-trim.html all the parts for the zip trim appear identical to the trimmer I have. I've been inserting the shell holder and lock stud into a hand drill to trim cases, and I suspect my lock stud is simply worn out from all those years of use which should explain the problem to answer the ray-jay question. How long have you used the zip trim, and have you had any issues with it?

Jester896, Does that Forster trimmer include pilots and collets for 7mm STW, 270 WSM and 300 WSM? Also the pilots appear quite short. How is the trim to length set with this trimmer?

JeffinPTC

Go to Forster.com and find the resources tab at top.
Click "Catalog and sales sheets"
Look for "enter your caliber" at bottom left

From the list for your caliber, find the part numbers for the collet and pilot

Go to the Original parts list to see that the Pn s are in the kit. They are.

If you just need a set screw, call Lee and get the size and pay them $5 or order a hundred from Zoro.com for $9

JeffinPTC

And I find a case about the "trim to" length specified in the manual and manually adjust. There is another screw which makes fine adjustments without loosening the lock collar.

rayjay

My issue with collet type trimmers is that the rims of the cases are not identical. With a collet trimmer the diameter of the case is what sets the cutting length. A smaller dia rim will cause the collet to travel farther inward making that case short. On a larger dia rim the collet travels less far and you have a long case.

The Wilson and the Lee don't have this issue. They index off the bottom surface of the case.

I've used RCBS and Lyman collet trimmers. Both had the same problem.

bevills1

My issue with collet type trimmers is that the rims of the cases are not identical. With a collet trimmer the diameter of the case is what sets the cutting length. A smaller dia rim will cause the collet to travel farther inward making that case short. On a larger dia rim the collet travels less far and you have a long case.

The Wilson and the Lee don't have this issue. They index off the bottom surface of the case.

According to loading manuals the case head diameter is supposed to be standard, but I've never measured cases to find that diameter. Why did you go back to using Lee instead of Wilson?

Jester896

Senior Clown

I am not sure I have ever trimmed 2 cases the same length with the Lyman I used. The Wilson is usually within .0005 of what I wanted. It uses the bottom of the case and the Lee I am using I think uses the top of the case head...seems like the only thing that would effect it is if the flash holes weren't deburred all the same.

WishboneW

Bevills 1 I have used the zip trim for 8 years and have done probably 600 cases with it and the cutter on 308 and 3006. Works great.

Dr. Strangelove

Call Lee. I've called most of the reloading equipment or powder companies over the years and it's been my experience that they are glad to talk to you and will get whoever you need on the phone.

rayjay

I am not sure I have ever trimmed 2 cases the same length with the Lyman I used. The Wilson is usually within .0005 of what I wanted. It uses the bottom of the case and the Lee I am using I think uses the top of the case head...seems like the only thing that would effect it is if the flash holes weren't deburred all the same.

The spud on the Lee actually goes through the flash hole and bears against the steel arbor that is clamping on the bottom of the case.

rayjay

According to loading manuals the case head diameter is supposed to be standard, but I've never measured cases to find that diameter. Why did you go back to using Lee instead of Wilson?

There is always a + - [ plus minus ] when dealing with mass produced items.

I no longer shoot benchrest matches so I don't do a high volume of loading. The Lee set up is just as accurate but slower.

Jester896

Senior Clown
The spud on the Lee actually goes through the flash hole and bears against the steel arbor that is clamping on the bottom of the case.

thanks..never really paid that close of attention...but it makes sense...I just assumed it did it from the shoulder area like a deburring tool...sure is pretty accurate.

I have 2 a 6.8SPC and .270WSM. so far I have only used the 6.8 and it is pretty solid.

bevills1

Bevills 1 I have used the zip trim for 8 years and have done probably 600 cases with it and the cutter on 308 and 3006. Works great.
How is the zip trim secured while using it? I decided to get one because I like the idea of having it at the loading bench without having to get a drill or other tool, and trimming by hand with the shell holder and lock stud is too slow. I also ordered a new cutter and lock stud that I hope will solve the problem I began having with the old one.

yaknfish

I have my Zip Trim screwed to a piece of 1x4. Just C-clamp it to the loading bench when I need to trim. Hang it on the pegboard when it's not in use.

wareagle700

And I find a case about the "trim to" length specified in the manual and manually adjust. There is another screw which makes fine adjustments without loosening the lock collar.

I do the same thing. I don't even bother with the fine tune screw though, just drop a case in and set it.

The Forster is a good trimmer and is easy to change out pilots for different calibers. You can make quick work trimming cases once you get in a rythm.

ky55

The Giraud trimmer works well too.

Latest posts