Can a convicted felon hunt with.............

Go to the gun store if your a convicted felon n buy one n see if you don't bring it out , have a friend who just purchased one less than 30 days ago for the up coming season , n he had no problem , n he is a convicted felon ! See I guess even tho a person makes a mistake 20'yrs ago he's still a bad person huh? Seems to be the consensus on this website and I truly think that blows! N even u try to pardon yourself u better have about 20,000 to pad a governers pocket or charity. Or u will wait yrs to get thru the paperwork on his desk!

I'm proud for him. Hope he enjoys it while he can.

A convicted felon can buy an AR-15 in a private transaction. Doesn't mean its legal for him to possess it.

The offense of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon has a mandatory 5 year prison sentence in Georgia.

A BP gun is a firearm in Georgia.

Those are facts, not opinions. Every one is entitled to be guided by their own conscience and the degree of risk they are willing to accept.

Go to the gun store if your a convicted felon n buy one n see if you don't bring it out , have a friend who just purchased one less than 30 days ago for the up coming season , n he had no problem , n he is a convicted felon ! See I guess even tho a person makes a mistake 20'yrs ago he's still a bad person huh? Seems to be the consensus on this website and I truly think that blows! N even u try to pardon yourself u better have about 20,000 to pad a governers pocket or charity. Or u will wait yrs to get thru the paperwork on his desk!

Please read

If he HONESTLY put on the line 11c that he was convicted of a felony and then if you would read page 3 Notice # 4.

So either your bud lied and fraudulently represented himself or the shop who sold the gun and the clerk who went over the paperwork is wrong.

Pretty cut and dried.

Mike

O.K., let's not make it any more complicated than necessary.

Firebreather is talking about a convicted felon buying a BP gun. No 4473 is required, so there is no need to lie. Anyone can buy a BP gun across the counter at a gunstore, Wal-mart, Bass Pro, or anywhere else and not have to fill out a 4473. So to the extent that Firebreather says that his felon acquaintance went into a store and bought a BP with no problem, he is correct.

NOTE, that there are some states that use the federal definition of firearm, and in those states (absent some other law) a felon can use a BP gun. This is one area where there is not a national rule.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
pre-1899 guns and BP guns aren't considered "Firearms" per federal law.

You can get a 1897 manufactured mauser rifle shipped to your home's door with NO background check and without going through a FFL. Same with a BP gun. ga state law considers them a firearm, though.

T

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

You can get a 1897 manufactured mauser rifle shipped to your home's door with NO background check and without going through a FFL. Same with a BP gun. ga state law considers them a firearm, though.

T

T, that would include a Model 97 Wichester pump shotgun too, wouldn`t it?

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I have a link somewhere listing all the guns it covers.

T

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
http://www.rawles.to/Pre-1899_FAQ.html

for nic

Winchester Model 1897 Shotgun (serial # below 63,633 -- some sources say 64,668, but better to use the lower number as your guide). That is a just a small fraction of the total of 1,024,700 M1897s produced! A TAKEDOWN Model 1897 that is pre-1899 is VERY rare, since they were a factory special order item. They command a big premium in price.

T

T

that would include a Model 97 Wichester pump shotgun too, wouldn`t it?

If it was actually manufactured before 1899. It's the manufacture date that is key, not the Model date.

One source cites this as the cut-off serial number for Model 97's --

Winchester Model 1897 Shotgun (serial # below 63,633 -- some sources say 64,668, but better to use the lower number as your guide). That is a just a small fraction of the total of 1,024,700 M1897s produced!

Y'all are going to keep working at it until you get someone sent off to the penitentiary yet.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
look up senate bill 308 that just got signed into law.

what does that have to do with this?

not being smart just don't have time to read the whole bill and apparently you are talking about something specific.

T

Roger T

what does that have to do with this?

not being smart just don't have time to read the whole bill and apparently you are talking about something specific.

T

i thought it would shed some lite on the o/p question along with the bp being considered a firearm.i re-read it & it doesnt so i deleted my post.

racedude45

I do not know about all the legal stuff, but to answer the question yes, you can hunt if you are a convicted felon. You have to get your rights restored, and I have know idea how this is done. But I know from personal experince that a convicted felon can hunt. I used to Rabbit and coon hunt with a Gentleman that I will not name but he was a great man and hunter. I miss hunting with him but he is no longer with us. If yall remeber back when Reagan was president someone crashed thru the gates at the Augusta National golf course and tried to get to Reagan. Well lets just say he got in a little bit of trouble for that stunt, spent quite a few years in prision. Well he was a convicted felon that had he rights reinstated and was able to vote, hunt and purchase a firearm. Like I said I do not know how he got it done but he did, we were checked several times by DNR and he never had a problem.

Last edited:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I do not know about all the legal stuff, but to answer the question yes, you can hunt if you are a convicted felon. You have to get your rights restored, and I have know idea how this is done. But I know from personal experince that a convicted felon can hunt. I used to Rabbit and coon hunt with a Gentleman that I will not name but he was a great man and hunter. I miss hunting with him but he is no longer with us. If yall remeber back when Reagan was president someone crashed thru the gates at the Augusta National golf course and tried to get to Reagan. Well lets just say he got in a little bit of trouble for that stunt, spent quite a few years in prision. Well he was a convicted felon that had he rights reinstated and was able to vote, hunt and purchase a firearm. Like I said I do not know how he got it done but he did, we were checked several times by DNR and he never had a problem.

there is quite a bit of difference between a felon that has had his rights restored being able to legally possess and own a firearm and hunt with it and someone who has not done all that because they CAN'T.

T

racedude45

throwback, I just answered his orginal question.. He never said if the person he was referring to had his rights restored. I was just explaining to him that he can hunt if he has them restored.
Knowhere did I say he could hunt without having his rights restored.

dbodkin

You folks go way too deep.....

Answer=No

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
throwback, I just answered his orginal question.. He never said if the person he was referring to had his rights restored. I was just explaining to him that he can hunt if he has them restored.
Knowhere did I say he could hunt without having his rights restored.

I know I was just trying to get him to understand the difference.

T

GONoob

I believe this is the First Offenders Act. Once you complete your sentence and send your paperwork to GBI you can have your record sealed.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I believe this is the First Offenders Act. Once you complete your sentence and send your paperwork to GBI you can have your record sealed.

no that is a different thing and law on the books. First offender has to be done WHEN the plea is put before the court and both sides and the judge have to agree about it, and it isnt an option for some crimes/situations. Also, your record isn't really "sealed" it is just not availible on your criminal history to anyone but LEO's, prosecutors, etc who are involved in the adminstration of criminal justice (and use purpose code "C" when running a criminal history). when a person is under first offender sentence, they aren't "technically" a convicted felon, you would charge them with "possession of a firearm by a convicted felon" but "possession of a firearm by a first offender--two different code sections) because they arent actually convicted of the crime, they have just entered a plea, and if they do what the judge says they walk. If they mess up, he brings them back into court and the DO NOT get a trial, because they have already entered a plea, and he can sentence them to whatever is left on the sentence.

Example: they get 10 years on a 20 year felony sentence. They serve 9 years and 6 months and then possess a firearm and get caught. The judge can call them before him and give them the other 10 years and 6 months in prison. Trust me I have had cases where that was done to people .

A pardon is done after the crime is committed, the person has served their sentence, it wasn't a voilent felony or drug trafficking, etc and many years have passed and they have proved themselves to be a good citizen.

T

outdoorsman52

what if a covicted felon is hunting with bow but is riding in truck with some one who is not a felon and this person has guns with him . the felons not using the guns but he is around them

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
what if a covicted felon is hunting with bow but is riding in truck with some one who is not a felon and this person has guns with him . the felons not using the guns but he is around them

I think he could possibly get in trouble over that....if he knows the guns are there, or should have reasonably known....and if they are where he could have access to them, then I believe that is technically a violation.