Black Powder stock

muzzy17is

I'm going to be trying my hand at my first gun stock. I have an old cheap " Bobcat" black powder gun that I found on our lease. It has a synthetic stock on it so I am going to try my hand at crafting a wooden stock for it. Gonna be making it out of white oak. If anyone on here has built one and could share some tips and tricks for me I'd appreciate it.

Anvil Head

While white oak is beautiful wood specially on the quarter cut, it has a propensity for easy splitting along the grain. Light loads would not be a problem, however hunting loads could possible cause issues down the road. That's one reason why the traditional woods of maple, walnut and cherry were used. They had less propensity to split. Look at the mechanical geometry of the stock with all it's holes, slots, and cuts - pretty much all in line with grain of wood in a stock. Tosses any shock stress right down the grain. I'm sure I've seen some traditionals with oak stocks but they aren't common. Not trying to dissuade you, just raising awareness a bit.
I have made over 30 BP rifles & pistols (from scratch) in my earlier days, but not in quite a while so not familiar with your particular gun (may not be an issue by design). Just give it some thought.....surely don't blame you for wanting to get away from plastic.

Nugefan

take a peak in the muzzle loading section , there have been pix of some beautiful rifles that have been handmade ....