Speaker wiring

Quepos1

I bought a house which has speakers mounted in the ceiling of a screened in porch and a pair mounted in the living room ceiling. My problem is I now have four wires exiting a wall plate and have no idea which goes to which set of speakers much less which is positive v negative.

Any words of wisdom c.f.m either electrical gurus or audiophiles in sorting these out?

Thanks

T-N-T

Just hook em one at a time and listen
It's free and will only take a few minutes

georgia357

But determining + v - will not be possible thereby affecting the phasing.

Would you really be able to tell the difference in ceiling mounted speakers?

Quepos1

Don't know whether I would of not, just trying to determine if there is a simple way to ensure they are connected for the best possible sound

T-N-T

Sure not one side of the wire isn't darker has a faint strip at all?

GoldDot40

So there's existing speakers already in place? If there is...It will be simple to find which goes where. You just need a AA or AAA battery. On the leads at the source end (from the receiver, ect), hold one lead on the negative end of the battery. Try each individual lead and touch to the positive end. When you hear that speaker 'pop' (it won't hurt it)....you will have found the +/- pair for that speaker.

Traditionally, one side of a paired speaker wire will have writing or a stripe on it. That's 'usually' the positive side. To verify, you may have to pull the speaker out just enough to see which wire is connected to which terminal. Match that up on the source end...you'll be good to go.

lbzdually

Banned
So there's existing speakers already in place? If there is...It will be simple to find which goes where. You just need a AA or AAA battery. On the leads at the source end (from the receiver, ect), hold one lead on the negative end of the battery. Try each individual lead and touch to the positive end. When you hear that speaker 'pop' (it won't hurt it)....you will have found the +/- pair for that speaker.

Traditionally, one side of a paired speaker wire will have writing or a stripe on it. That's 'usually' the positive side. To verify, you may have to pull the speaker out just enough to see which wire is connected to which terminal. Match that up on the source end...you'll be good to go.

This. Easy and cheap to do.

NOYDB

BANNED
The Wires are not positive or negative. How they are hooked up is.

Start at your Amp or receiver. Hook up wire to positive output Hook other end to positive input on speaker. Hook the other wire to the negative out put on speaker and then that wire to the negative lead on the receiver. Do same for each set of receiver leads to each set of speakers.

WayneB

I'm guessing here, but did they use a lamp cord wire? Clear side by side pair?
If so, one edge will be round, the other will be squared.

Beyond that, hook up the speakers however you want; it will NOT hurt them. Worst case you will have less bass per pair. Swapping one wire pair negative and positive should improve bass for that pair of speakers.
It would sound better if you pulled one or all to see how they are wired, the cones in the speakers vibrate with energy applied. They'll sound better pushing the cone as opposed to pulling the cone.

Oldstick

They used to say you can tell by the sound, if the phases are matched up. Stand right in the center of the two speakers and if it sounds like the music is coming directly out of the center point, it is correct. Coming from "somewhere in room", means they're off.

I think all you have to do is reverse the two wires on one the speaker, if they're off.

lbzdually

Banned
They used to say you can tell by the sound, if the phases are matched up. Stand right in the center of the two speakers and if it sounds like the music is coming directly out of the center point, it is correct. Coming from "somewhere in room", means they're off.

I think all you have to do is reverse the two wires on one the speaker, if they're off.

If you do the battery trick like Golddot40 said, you can watch which way the speaker goes, in or out. With the battery's + and - to the speakers + and -, the speaker should move outward. Just make sure both sides are moving in the same direction and you'll be in phase.