Yet Another ThermaCell thread, Recharging the butane...

garndawg

OK, guys,

I KNOW someone out there has already tried to save five bucks by trying to recharge the little ThermaCell butane bottles with the cig lighter recharge bottles.

Did it work?

On that same note, has anyone experimented with soaking the mats in some sort of bug juice solution to refresh them? Results?

Wondering... :confused:

Dog Hunter

I saw some bottles in the hair dept that looked just like the thermocell bottles, but were about half the price. If memory serves me right it had thermocell in little letters on the box.

dbodkin

As with most "specialized" products. Prices goes up just ad camo or the word gourmet... If you look in the hair care products there is a fuel cell made for a portable hair curler that will work with therm-a-cell. I was in Big Lot last year and bought a handful for cheap....

Razorback

FYI

Wally World has the butanes near the curling irons (don't ask me how I know :shoot: ) They do have the thermacell name on them & the price I saw was about $4.97 for 2 cartridges.

Hunterrs

GONetwork Member
One container lasts 12 hours. I mat last 4. That’s why they start you of with one butane cylinder and 3 mats. The problem is it is easy to leave them on and forget, that's why people end up with extra mats.

dbodkin

Hey you could curl your hair a keep the skeeter away at the same time :speechles

Slug-Gunner

It WON'T WORK....

garndawg said:
OK, guys,

I KNOW someone out there has already tried to save five bucks by trying to recharge the little ThermaCell butane bottles with the cig lighter recharge bottles.

Did it work?

On that same note, has anyone experimented with soaking the mats in some sort of bug juice solution to refresh them? Results?

Wondering... :confused:

I tried it using the Ronson refill can. I had to trim the tip to fit the opening on the ThermaCell butane cartridge. Some went in, but not enough to last more than a couple of minutes. There is NO WAY to relieve the pressure inside, like there is when you fill up a 20 lb propane gas grill cylinder or RV propane tank. There is a small metal ball pushed into the bottom of the ThermaCell cylinder that is probably installed after it is filled at the factory. Save your money and effort and just buy the replacement cartridges in the curling iron department.
::huh: :banginghe :banginghe :mad:

Last edited:

hpurvis

Gone But Not Forgotten
Have not found anyone in the Commerce store with sense enough to order any in the hair dryer dept. You get DUH and thats it..

Walkie Takie

thermocell ????

try to find one in walmart in loganville fri nite no luck //// maybe later ?????? w/t
did someone say they were at BPS ??????

Darryl

Slug-Gunner said:
I tried it using the Ronson refill can. I had to trim the tip to fit the opening on the ThermaCell butane cartridge. Some went in, but not enough to last more than a couple of minutes. There is NO WAY to relieve the pressure inside, like there is when you fill up a 20 lb propane gas grill cylinder or RV propane tank. There is a small metal ball pushed into the bottom of the ThermaCell cylinder that is probably installed after it is filled at the factory. Save your money and effort and just buy the replacement cartridges in the curling iron department.
::huh: :banginghe :banginghe :mad:

Good info. Thanks.

frankwright

I have seen cases of 24 refills sold on Ebay for less than $5.00. I don't know about the shipping costs but it has to be cheaper than buying two from thermacell.

Do a search for "thermacell" and see what you find.

I don't think anybody has figured out a cheap way to do the mats YET.

DanSmith

Banned
Razorback said:
FYI

Wally World has the butanes near the curling irons (don't ask me how I know :shoot: ) They do have the thermacell name on them & the price I saw was about $4.97 for 2 cartridges.
you been curling your hair? :rolleyes:

bilgerat

Senior
cells

the seed n feed store in monticello has them with the bug repelant cards.