A Big Thanks to the Duck Roost Members!!

BCAPES

I want to say a big thanks to the great members of the Duck Roost for the opportunity to hunt with them yesterday!

Here is the story and a journal of the day:

I saw the invitation from Scott Glenn, aka Hog-Head, on here a couple of weeks ago. I had never hunted deer with dogs before and wanted to give it a try. When I told my 5 year old that I had been invited to go deer hunting with dogs, he insisted on going. He has never hunted but he loves dogs!!

Journal for 12/28/11:

3:45 am - Cannot sleep for the excitement. Alarm is set for 4:00 but it is useless. Too much adrenaline flowing. I pack the truck and we take off.

6:45 am - arrived at the meeting place in town and am greeted by some super guys that were guests as well. It turns out that 2 guys in separate parties are from my town originally but live elsewhere now - small world.

7:00 am - Scott arrives to pick us up and we head off to the clubhouse.

7:15 – Hunt # 1 We get to the clubhouse where the members are gathered and everyone is super friendly and hospitable. We felt right at home.

Everyone chooses a stand and it is a very organized effort to ensure the safety of the hunters. Scott carefully shows us a map of the area and where everyone will be situated.

We chose not to be on a stand on the first hunt so we could see the dogs get released. We followed the dog truck and as soon as the dogs are out, they jump a buck not 50 yards from the truck. The sound of dogs on the trail is like music and is as exciting as anything you will experience in the woods. I have coon hunted and bird hunted with dogs but never deer and it is really special to say the least.

I would like to add that the dog men are truly selfless guys. They never get on a stand. They are constantly working the dogs and keeping them from getting lost. It is a thankless job in the hunt and they burn a lot of gas– A big thanks to you guys!!!

Hunt # 2 - On the second hunt, we went to a stand . We were dropped off on a fork in the road where we were able to see for quite a way. The dogs get dropped off and after a few minutes, the bellows of one of the hounds got closer and closer. We knew at any moment, a deer could appear. In a flash, 2 does zipped across the road followed by Sally, the bluetick hound. Talk about a rush! WOW!

Hunt #3 - We stood with a really great guy who is a member. The dogs get close but no dice. They change direction and the deer goes way behind us. A few minutes later, we hear shots fired and over the radio – “Deer down”! My son says, “Let’s go see it !!!” A little later, 3 more shots fired! The truck comes by and a nice little doe is in the back with the hounds in the box still barking.

We get back to the clubhouse and a total of 4 deer were killed! We hunted 2 more times and had a blast. The Duck Roost is a beautiful piece of property and has many things to offer the outdoorsman. I wish I lived there!

It was a truly memorable day and since it was the first time my son and I hunted together - we will never forget it. Thanks guys for a great experience!

Attachments

• Eli and Dogs.jpg
    Eli and Dogs.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 1,126
Last edited:

nockemstiff

When I told my 5 year old that I had been invited to go deer hunting with dogs, he insisted on going. He has never hunted but he loves dogs!!

It was a truly memorable day and since it was the first time my son and I hunted together - we will never forget it. Thanks guys for a great experience!

Man you nailed it! Excellent read. Sounds like some really great people.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
The "Roost" is an AWESOME place, thru the woods, I live less than a mile from there. Have spent many a evening just riding the dirt roads and watching all the game there.:cheers:

BCAPES

LOL Rodney...

enjoyed meeting you and your son, hows he doing with his (leg) lol. rodney

We are putting tracks in my neighbors yard with it. Cannot wait to walk over and say, hey look what I found!

Glad to meet you too Rodney! Hope the meat is good!

Latest posts