Leupold RCX

Davans

Got mine back. It still has issues.Follow up pics are too dark to see.

mossyoakpro

Got mine back. It still has issues.Follow up pics are too dark to see.

All 4 of my test units are still lying on the floor in my office awaiting return Leupold.

IMO, these are the worst cameras on the market right now. I have used and tested a lot of cameras and these are by far the bottom rung of the ladder.

I am glad to see that some are doing fine with theirs, as for me I will stick with my Coverts for now.

tfos

All 4 of my test units are still lying on the floor in my office awaiting return Leupold.

IMO, these are the worst cameras on the market right now. I have used and tested a lot of cameras and these are by far the bottom rung of the ladder.

I am glad to see that some are doing fine with theirs, as for me I will stick with my Coverts for now.

I AGREE

vici

I am in Leupold R&D and ran the development project for these cameras so wanted to offer support to any of you who are interested. Sorry to hear some of you have had troubles. I can assure you the defect rate has been quite low with very few returns and most users have been very happy. We have had good success in resolving what issues there are for most customers. We did have a couple of glitches in first shipments but they can, in most cases be resolved without even returning the cameras. Please feel free to contact me if you need help: vpeters@leupold.com. Also, I wanted to clarify a couple of things I see on this site where I think you did not get good answers from us:
1. Night video: Does work on any batteries. You can't set an RCX-2 on 48 LEDs unless using external power. (RCX-1 only has 36) We left this feature available for super long range night shots but it has created some confusion. Just set on normal video or make sure the custom menu had LEDs set to 36 and it should work.
2. Lithium AA batteries: Not required. Just provides 1500 night pics instead of 10,000. If you have had trouble with night pics, let us know and we'll send you the improved battery trays. Some were not making great contact which causes less pics, especially at night.

We also had a bug in early shipments where you could name a camera in such a way that the file name, which is a derivative of the camera name, does not comply with file format standards so would not write to the SD card. The camera needs to be named with upper case characters and numerals and, if the name has been anything else, you need to reformat the SD card in the controller.

I would also like to respond to the Mossy Oak posts. We intentionally sent that test group cameras that represented the earliest, unimproved shipments so we could get an idea what the user experience was like. Two out of 23 testers had problems. The rest loved them. I can see we should have explained that to these testers. My apologies for the confusion.

Finally, the Chasingame review: They tested a very small sample of the earliest cameras and had some problems. They had been testing prototypes that were far from production ready as we were looking for their input in the process of perfecting the product. In my opinion their judgment of the final product was tainted by preconceptions they developed in this process. I don't believe they have ever tested the latest product.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything from me.

vici

I need to clarify one of my comments. If you had a camera named with characters other than upper case and numeral characters, you need to remove the SD card from the camera, insert it into the controller, go to the setup menu and format the SD card. This cleans off the bunches of empty folders that were created on the SD card so it can accept new files. Now you can put the SD card back in the camera and it will work.

Davans

I finally got around to puting my RCX-2 in the woods for a week and it seems to be working OK. Day time pics have a green tint, looks like we are in a rain forest. Old Moultier is taking much better day time pics.

Having to spend $20.00 on batteries.....hours of testing and changing settings to help the tech. diagnose my camera and having to return the camera at my own exspense all adds up to poor customer service.............folks...I'm real BIG on customer service.

Leupold should have stepped up and paid for the shipping and the lithium batteries if they are required as I was told by tech. support or maybe just sent me the "new" battery box to try before asking me to spend the time and money to buy batteries and return their product to them.

Over-all I'm disappointed in this camera and Leupold.

Davans

Well....mine is not working AGAIN........................very few ( poor quality ) daytime pics and night time pics are too dark to see..........and the camers just does not trigger. My other cam in the same location is taking pictures 10 to 1.

Keep in mind....this one has already been returned ( AT MY EXPENSE ) ..............not a happy camper!

Davans

It has been 2 months since I returned it.............still nothing from Leupold. Checked with the Tech......no response...copied Vici on 12-5 and I got a " I will Follow Up " response......today the 10th, still nothing.

I also bought a Leupold VX-3L scope last year for Christmas. I have no complaints about the scope but the scope that will be under the Christmas tree this year is a Bushnell Elite 6500......